Consultation, Request For Information About My Sword

pgtortosa

I suggested he simply take it out into the sunlight, usually best idea before gettimg drastic.....

Yes, you are of course right John, My suggestion is to only get hardcore where you have nothing to start from

We must be aware that yo fotehn find the bottom line of blades in these Koshirae. But still this sword might be flashy ...

My suggestion in the first place was to not tamper with it but just keep it as it is.

But if the buyer from Argentina wants to find out more he will better want to sit down and do some stuff from the Franknstein polisher lab rather to give the sword a roundtrip to the states ... most if not all polisher would turn down the blade for polishing anyway as you do not want to get a o suriage / mumei shinto daito polished.

NO, NO, and $%%#$ NO.
There will NOT be any discussions on using acid or any abrasive on traditional swords. I don't care about who, what, where or why. I don't care about explanations or the fact that traditional polishers won't polish X or Y.
I do NOT CARE.
This has been discussed ad nauseum, and the policy is no discussing amateur work on Nihonto blades.
Deal with it. This is not a debate. Posts deleted. No discussion about this. It has been covered before.

• Like 5

Not playing this game Luis.
I post about professionally trained in Japan people, then you counter with smug comments about Bob B or Ted or others who are respected but maybe didn't complete a full apprenticeship..then I counter...and it is a never ending debate.
You think we haven't done this before endlessly here?
If in doubt...search the forum. Most polishers have been covered before.
And when it comes to doing any blade work yourself (by any member) the answer is never. We all know many do anyways...but they wisely don't discuss it here and seem fine with that. Subject closed.

I won't counter as I consider Bob Benson to be a Japanese trained polisher and maybe the most knowledgeable round eye on Nihonto in the world (not sure but I think he completed a full traning in Japan?)... while I don't think that you need to be necessarily Italian trained to do good Pizza and I have unfortunately had poor Pizza in Italy on some occasions ... ;) I only reserve the right that German cars are of course the best  and cleanest in the world.If you read any different and that we lost world war II that's likely fake news!

I got you anyway, So end of the subject on my part, too. :)

ACID WASH IS VERBOTEN - IT ATTACKS THE STEEL AND UNDERMINES IT TO THE POINT WHERE SOMETIMES POLISH IS NOT POSSIBLE, THEREBY DEFEATING THE PURPOSE.

A window by a competent, properly trained polisher is the only true way to ascertain the quality of hamon and jigane if you really value your sword.

BaZZa.

With no apologies whatsoever for "shouting"...

Thank you very much BaZZa
Thanks for your help.

best regards
Paul

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..