Help Need With Reading Mei

EdWolf

John and Ray,

Thanks to both for your help. It’s highly appreciated!

So, it is Bishu Osafune ju Nagachogi.

Is it possible to find more about the smith without a date? The mei of the tanto only contains only a signature.

Best regards,

Ed

So as Ray and Stephen point out the mei can be read as either, "Bishu Osafune Nagayoshi", or "Bishu Osafune Chogi".   As to date you have to work at recognising the sugata and other features in the blade to arrive at a period and then start consulting the lists to see who was working at that time and signing in this way.

Or of course you could send it to shinsa.

Just to whet your appetite, http://www.sho-shin.com/chogi.htm bearing in mind the more famous a smith the more likely to be gime.

All the best.

• Like 1

Hi Geraint,

Thanks for your reply. It’s not an easy task to read the signature. I was happy about the fact that I could read most of it. So, it could be a famous name and if, so it is probably gimei. The cost for sending it to Shinsa is more than the cost of the tanto. Thanks for the link.

Regards,

Ed

The tang seems unaltered (ubu). Sorry but I don’t have pictures of the blade. It’s cloudy and dark outside and using a flash is not an option. The blade has on one side a goma hashi Horimono. On the other side a single wide groove. The habaki an seppa are gold foiled. Here’s a picture of the koshirae. The mantis is very well executed.

When the weather changed to sunny I will try to take a good picture of the blade.

Best regards,

Ed

post-3919-0-92019000-1512486268_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The weather is changing, and the snow is melting away. I finally took some pictures without the use of a flash. Still almost impossible to take good quality of the blade. I think the overall look of this tanto is very nice. I like it a lot. How is the instrument next to the wari-kogai called and what is the use of it?

Best regards,

Ed

post-3919-0-67624300-1513085731_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-69073600-1513085733_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-95204900-1513085736_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-18268900-1513085739_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-33513200-1513085740_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-74483900-1513085740_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-39191100-1513085741_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-48208800-1513085742_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-74708100-1513085743_thumb.jpg

I think probably Gimei judging by the lower quality horimono execution and blade overall. I really wouldn't be disappointed myself to have such a nice tanto package like that, regardless of mei.

I don't really have any idea what the other kogai is, perhaps it is a utility blade.  It looks to be made of brass, very unusual.

• Like 1

Ed, what I like about this tanto is particularly the koshirae.  It is en suite, nothing missing, and no real damage to speak of.  The implement other than the warikogai I would call a variation on kozuka.  Very interestingly different with a gilt blade in the form of a ken and clearly the saya is made to fit its unusually smaller stature.  The habaki is a stunner.  The blade presents well in sugata and irrespective of age (I would think Shinshinto at the earliest).  It may not be worth a polish - but - someone put this tanto together with taste and thought.  Nice package, congratulations.

BaZZa.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..