Kanji On Nakago Mune: Orikaeshi Mei

Mortis

On the nakago mune

文政二卯年閏四月吉日上

Bunsei ni u-nen, urū-shigatsu kichijitsu agaru

Shortened on an auspicious day in leap-April, Bunsei 2 (1819) Year of Rabbit

Not sure about the very last letter, but I'm fairly sure that overall it refers to the date of shortening.

• Like 7

Thank you both. I can make out the Kane kanji, but not the sada kanji very much. You two have helped me with translations before, and it's such a special gift you provide to the other members of the NMB.

May I also ask, is it all that unusual to engrave the date of suriage? I'm pretty new to nihonto, but I don't recall seeing it very frequently at all. Also, why might it be done and would it point to being a better quality or more valuable blade?

Also, Steve, I wanted to say that I appreciate how you take the time to go into such detail, by showing the kanji, the Japanese translation, and then the English translation. That is really helpful to educate those of us who have a hard time with reading kanji.

Hello Justin,

Happy to help when I can. Everyone is getting so good at deciphering these things, I'm usually late to the party. Regarding the date of shortening on the mune, I myself haven't seen any other examples, although there have been a few threads that show other things engraved on the mune (and therefore these examples make me think yours is not such a mega-unusual outlier...although it does seem unique enough to make it an interesting collectible). 

Here are some threads with other mune engravings:

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/23792-mei-with-kanji-at-3-sides-need-help/?hl=mune&do=findComment&comment=240942

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/21519-name-on-nakago-mune/?hl=mune

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..