Ko Nara Tsuba

johnnyi

Hello.  This tsuba (attribution  by Mr. Haynes to Ko Nara 1650) is showing a monkey lazily doing something with what looks like a pivoting weighted piece of wood that he moves with his foot. I can't decide if he is pounding grain or steering a boat or something else? (my boat idea seems weak considering the tea house type window above him.)   Anyway he seems to be living in a rich man's world judging by his gold decorated attire, but laboring too. Is this a story or parable about something?? I can't find anything in Joley's Legends of Japan, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. I'll bet somebody here knows.,   Thanks

Regards,  Johni

post-3005-0-54484600-1512002446_thumb.jpg

post-3005-0-29013000-1512002486_thumb.jpg

Thank you both for your great help.  I have found a reference, thanks to you Henry for recognizing the potter's wheel, of "Gyogo Bosatsu" "A celebrated Buddhist priest who in 736, headed the deputation sent by the Emporer Shomu to the temple of Amaterasu, in Ise, to pray for the permission of the Goddess to erect at Nara the statue of the Daibutsu."  He is also credited with the invention of the potter's wheel.  p.s. My apologies to Gyogo Bosatsu for calling him a monkey..

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..