Nobukuni Query

Ray Singer

I am curious if anyone has a sho-shin example of Nobukuni which corresponds with the attached mei. This is for a very interesting piece with a nijimei of Nobukuni, which greatly resembles Oei Nobukuni work. The KUNI is signed differently from established examples, with the center stroke leaning to the left rather than to the right or vertically from those smiths who worked in late Nambokucho and early Muromachi. Any reference examples, if such exist, would be greatly appreciated...

post-457-0-16962500-1511803281_thumb.jpg

Hi Axel,

Thanks for the reply. It does seem that all examples I have readily available have either a vertical or right-leaning center stroke. The reason I hold out hope is that I have a note in my mental archives that the sandai signed this way...

Best regards,

Ray

Hi Ray-

There are at least 3 Oei Nobukuni.

Given that you showed one of the Reverse (or Left Handed, or Dyslexic) "Kuni", you are asking after [Oei] Gensaemon-no-Jo-Nobukuni.

But the atari directions in the Kuni character are all the wrong direction and the center line in the kuni character is almost always north-south. He didn't slant it.

I have seen one shoshi where the bottom stroke of the kuni was broken up into two strokes.

The Nobu is also rather different. The Reverse Kuni but then having a lot of strokes in the wrong direction would point more towards gimei than a signature variation.

• Like 2

Thanks for that link. As soon as the printer is working out, I'll save it with Kowalski's work and the stuff I have from old correspondence with the Tanobe-sensei lead NBTHK on Gensaemon-no-Jo-Nobukuni.

It is one of the few schools I know a booger about.

Markus' work and output is humbling, as always.

Thanks as always Markus. The sugata is a very interesting one. The blade is in the form of a naginatanaoshi, but appears to be ubu with a deep sori that is most prominent through the nakago, giving the feeling of a kodachi. Nagasa is 53cm. The sword has a narrow mihaba and the the slender shape gives me the feeling of an Oei blade. The hamon is one which would lead me to say Nobukuni, even if I have not seen the mei, and has resemblance to another Nobukuni I own. The boshi has kaeri (not yakitsume).

post-457-0-54835300-1511984967_thumb.jpg

post-457-0-61809400-1511985028_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..