Please Help Me With This Parade Sword

Peter Bleed

Please allow me to beg the advice of the NMB on a topic that is – I have decided – NOT about Japanese swords, but which may be within the interests and expertise of some people who visit this forum.

A couple of months ago I bought a military sword that looked like it might be an early Japanese parade sword. The sword was missing the pommel and was in rough shape but I thought there might be some remnants of Chinese character on the surface that had been below the missing pommel. The owner also described a restoration plan that I thought would do more harm and good, so I got the project. DUMB!

Once again I will say that I wish there was a lot more literature on Chinese swords, but I have convinced myself that this incomplete unit is Chinese rather than Japanese. Can anyone endorse or correct that conclusion.

Beyond that, I would like some guidance on the missing pommel. Please note the length of the surviving tang. Are there any pictures of Republic/War Lord era Chinese swords that that might suggest what the missing fitting looked like?

Finally, if I were to decide that this restoration is beyond me, can anyone suggest someone who could do it – or who might want to own this bad boy.

Thank you for your attention!

Peter

post-338-0-08393100-1511730113_thumb.jpg

IMHO

is a put to geather piece, missing parts, miss aligned handle. and that aftermarket wooden grip

the threaded screw tangs have no need to exeed the D gaurd pommel as they are either peened over, or capped nuts are used and then elabealty finished.

unless yours in a Thai navy piece were the elephants head requires a longer threaded tang, to prove this please take pics of the otherside of the D-guard.

I highly detest and am very weary of Chinese made ww2 swords. they are cheaply made and appear too much like post war souvenirs for GI's.

the near "none existence" of documented pieces are a worry, and the fact that the Chinese  could barely keep themselves alive or hold any serious resistance against the IJA, with out foreign assistance and weapons.

also on the other note, because of this "IF THEY DID" make any it would be reflected in low quality production, little to no machanical assistance with blades or casting bronze fittings, let alone able to catch find tortious shell for handles to mount.

I would have guessed if the Chinese were fighting under the Japanese control (120, 000 ) I'm led to believe they would have been outfitted with Japanese equipment???

but it sounds interesting, post heaps of pics please, 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..