Why Does My Oil Do This?

Looks like a chemical reaction.

Do you change oil? Did you remove the old oil with a liquid? Did you use a wax?

There are any possibilities. Maybe the saya is not from magnolia and the wood reacts with the oil on the blade.

Why is the cloath so dirty?

Some use Microfiber to wipe of the old oil. That is dangerous because microfiber holds the dirt. You can only use Microfiber with pure Water not with oil.

Jay,

the first question is of course: What oil do you use?

And then: How much did you use? How long was it on the blade?

There is also a slight possibility that the KOGATANA is not made with TAMAHAGANE and that a different steel reacts differently with the oil, as Chris already mentioned.

Hello:

Going back a few years it was common practice to apply oil, wipe off the obvious film amount with a Kleenex tissue (entirely avoiding those awful paper sheets in "Japanese sword care kits) and then use a well laundered piece of flannel one more time. If done properly and with the use of real choji oil, any subsequent beading sound be minimal or not seen at all.

Arnold F.

Hello Arnold, All,

use a well laundered piece of flannel one more time. 

Suggest, to be extra safe use perfume free, etc., Arm and Hammer laundry detergent as so many of these laundry products (and drier sheets as well) use nasty chemicals that can leave residues behind that you don't want in contact with your sword/tosogu.

Edited by nagamaki - Franco

I use kurobara oil in the pump spray bottle. I remove old oil with isopropyl alcohol and a tissue, spray the oil onto another clean tissue and wipe the blade. No buildup, no beading. Regarding the possibility of foreign matter in the tissue, which do you think the industry loses more sleep over, a scratched Nihonto or a scratched Human (Baby or well paid model)? I used to use a Japanese made microfiber cloth to remove oil (one made for lenses), but tend to use a single use facial tissue now.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..