Who Was Kamino Nagatoshi?

Unknown Swordsmith

https://www.japanische-schwert-galerie.de/pages/de/antik/katana--waki.--tanto.php?action=more&id=508&wb_6508_session_id=3166a20b17557bd290cdc26d0c78cae4

I've found a german website that only sells antique nihonto that are worthy of  preservation.

There is a sword (linked above) claimed to be made by a swordsmith called Kamino Nagatoshi who is said to have lived in the Hyuuga/Miyazaki prefecture, in the Bunmei era (1469-1487) in the Muromachi period. My problem is that I couldn't find any information about this smith in any of the avaiable online swordsmith indexes (in english). I've tried everything and I'm clueless. I don't know how or where I should continue my research. Do you know anything about him?

It would be difficult-to-impossible to provide an answer on value, especially with the lack of additional supporting photos on that website. No photos showing the mei, details of the sword, etc. He is also not a smith that I am seeing documented either, but will research from home. It does not seem that the website is working very hard to sell this sword, with so little information or reference visuals provided.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I cannot find any info about this Kamino school in any of my references. :( Nor can I find any Nagatoshi smiths working during late 1400's. I think old swords from Hyūga province are very rare, Nihontō Kōza has tiny portion about them. Old Hyūga smiths seem not to be in every smith indexes as I couldn't find some Ōei & Eikyō signed & dated smiths from Hyūga at Seskos Index.

I would ask from Karl Peuker as he is member of NBTHK EB, and even though he is also a dealer I am sure he'll help you out regarding this sword and other swords too.

Might be just me but it annoys me almost more than anything if I cannot see picture of the NBTHK certificate.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..