Kashu Ju Fujiwara Nagatsugu

Brettybel

Hello,

I have come across a naginata wakazashi. I was wondering if it would be possible to be told about the sword. I was really curious about the sword smith and the approximate value of it . I have attached pictures below.

I don't plan on selling it I would just like to know if I have to clam it on my home insurance.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Hi Brett,

Please sign your posts as we all do.  Your question is hard to answer without some more information.  At the very least you have a nice wakizashi in shirasaya and in polish.  Does it have Japanese papers to confirm the signature?  If it does then you might like to compare here, http://www.ricecracker.com/japanese_swords/wakizashi/sw6.htm

Now don't get too excited, this sword has a very up market habaki and shirasaya and papers, albeit not the best ones.  There are many false signatures out there and without the confirmation that papers would provide your sword would be worth a fraction of this one. As I'm not in Canada it would be more useful for some of our members there to give you a ball park figure for insurance but I do hope you enjoy your sword.

All the best.

Hello:

It appears to be signed Kashu ju Fujiwara Nagatsugu and there were two working there in there in the third quarter of the 17th Cent. I had only a very quick  look and was unable to turn up an example but that mei has a pretty convincing look to me. A nice looking blade and a style that fits those times.

There will be a shinsa in Chicago in April and they would tell you what you need to know, though of course you would get a "right" or "wrong" but not a dollar value. Someone here might venture an opinion, but sight unseen makes for a lot of uncertainty as to what the images don't reveal and there is as yet no paper.

Arnold F.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..