Learning To Judge A Blade

vajo

Alex i see that from another point of view. The koshirae was surely worth around $1000 because you must pay for a decent showa-to around 1200 - 1500 Dollar. The blade is a gendaito when it is a showa blade. That was a really good offer. But we search the hair in the soup because the offer was cheap. Thats the problem. Everyone says the prices for nihonto goes lower every year. Now the prices for gendaito also become cheap. Thats the matter.

I ask the seller now what he meant about the age. It is a late shin-shinto blade. No showa gendaito. He didn't look deeper in that sword.

The price was cheap because the blade was part of a bigger collection he has bought. It has two ware, not deep but it needs poolish. And the blade is mumei. So it would not sell fast with a higher price. He will list two other swords in the coming days, similar two this for a decent price. 

Now i know, that I'm not so far away from my judge  :laughing:

Think about it Chris Late Shini-shinto is nearer to Gendaito than shinto so in reality we are talking 20 or 30 years apart on an unsigned  out of polish blade. Also the seller is offering an opinion like everyone else so his statement isnt necessarily ffact.

Not trying to be difficult but your opinion of what something is should be based on what you can see not what a seller is telling you.

I can accept this is late shin-shinto although it still looks later to me. It wouldn't be the first and certainly wont be the last time I have been wrong.

• Like 3

Well, the smith certainly didn't go out of his way to recreate a Koto masterpiece, tourist piece maybe 

post-3496-0-26210400-1511551602_thumb.jpg

Tourist piece?  :-?

I think it is better sometimes not to ask something, before to ask the taste of another collector  :laughing:  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..