Are Micro-Shows The Way To Go?

I read the description of the Minneapolis show with interest. That’s my old stomping ground and I am sure that I would have enjoyed the company and objects that where there.  In fact, however, it seems like a rather small event and got me thinking about the future of “sword shows.”

I like the community and “action” of shows, but maybe we need a new model for sword shows. Let’s hope that the “big” shows – Chicago, San Francisco, Tampa- need to survive as “BIG” events - - crowds, shinsas, lectures, yahhh-dahh yahhh dahh. But maybe what we ought to also encourage is a RAFT of “micro-shows.” 

If you draw a 4-hour driving circle in most parts of the country, I think you could find groups of 6 to 8 collectors who would bring some swords and curiosity to an overnight meeting. Arranging rooms at a central motel might get you a free meeting room. If individual collectors brought stuff that could easily transport, you could probably get a bunch of stuff that would be worth looking at. And what else would you need? Micro sword shows might be fun, low stress, and interesting. They sure would be cheaper than an airplane trip. They would provide an easy on-ramp for “new guys”. And they might even support some wheeling and dealing.

What would it take to foster a system of mcro-sword shows?

Peter

• Like 2

Peter

what a great idea!

As I'm getting ready to retire this year, I'll have more free time to roam. A few hours drive is a pleasant way to spend the day and throw in some swords , you got my attention!

I've thought about going to the Tampa show , or Chicago  show not out of the question , but closer more intimate shows might be just the ticket!

I have traveled to Boston, Philly and RI for Iai-do seminars and always enjoyed them, a get away .

Charles

Same here, Peter. At our meeting last weekend, for example, we must have had 20 blades, including two juto, but it wasn't advertised as anything other than a normal monthly meeting. We did have two newbies who decided to come & watch, but I wouldn't call it a "micro-show." Interesting concept, though, & I'll talk with the current president about wider advertising.

Thanks!

Ken

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..