Nkbkhk Shinsa

Shogun8

I think I can speak for my fellow Japanese Armor Society board members, Luc Taelman and Jo Anseeuw in saying that yesterday was one we shall never forget - and another monumental step in the growth and development of the Japanese Armor Society.

This is because for the first time in it's long history, the executive branch of the NKBKHK in Tokyo invited non-Japanese to attend the shinsa in an official capacity. In fact, this is the first time that individuals who were not shinsa judges were even allowed to be in the room. For those of you who do not know what a shinsa is, it is an annual event at which individuals are able to bring their Japanese armor items to be evaluated and judged for their authenticity, age and quality as deemed by the shinsa committee, which is drawn from the NKBKHK executive and of course, includes the top experts and scholars of Japanese Armor in the world.

This was obviously an honour of the highest order and it speaks volumes for the willingness and efforts being made by the NKBKHK to be more open, inclusive and modern in its approach, while maintaining true to its standards, ethos and cultural traditions. The organization has come under criticism in some circles (including from certain vocal individuals here in the west) for sometimes not being with the times, but this gesture - along with several conversations we had with the executive team - is just the first step in fostering the exchange of culture, knowledge, experience and fellowship which is the mission of the Japanese Armor Society.

The Japanese Armor Society is now the second largest branch of the NKBKHK (next to the the Tokyo branch) and as even the president of the NKBKHK, Nagata-san said to us yesterday, he is incredibly impressed by our growth and development and is excited to participate with us as we move forward. I am pleased to confirm that he, along with several of the executives and shinsa team will be attending the Japanese Legacy III Symposium in Leiden and also the After-Tour. Not coincidentally, we have also discussed the first shinsa to be held outside of Japan at a future Japanese Legacy event, so stay tuned for these exciting developments.

Unfortunately, for obvious reasons, photographs of the items were not permitted but I am pleased to share pictures of the shinsa team:

JOLJqk.jpg

From L-R: Jo Anseeuw (JAS board member); Matsumoto-san (Shinsa Judge and one of the top collectors in the world); Nishioka-san (Shinsa Judge and renowned armor expert and restorer; Takemura-san (Shinsa Judge, armor expert, scholar and collector); Nagata-san (NKBKHK President, Shinsa Judge, armor expert and collector); Luc Taelman (JAS President); Orikasa-san (Shinsa Judge, renowned and published armor expert and scholar); yours truly

GavkpS.jpg

From L-R: Otsuka-san (collector); Luc; Jo; Takemura-san; Matsumoto-san; Nagata-san; Orikasa-san

J0hS53.jpg

The JAS team with Orikasa-sensei

• Like 11

HI Chris,

My name is found at the bottom of my post, so feel free to reach out to me in PM. You can also visit the Japanese Armor Society Forum at www.japanesearmorsociety.org, where we require members and participants to use their real names. We welcome new members and there's a ton of information and opportunity to discuss all things armor.

John

• 2 weeks later...

on the pictures you see Orikasa sensei, aged and fragile. But once you start talking about kabuto he blows you over with his knowledge. Always with hard evidence, always super rational, he is an engineer after all. Respect for this big man!

• Like 2

Another person in the team is Takemura sensei. For those who read the articles of our magazine, it is obvious that this man has a huge knowledge about the regional oregins of armor. Both Orikasa and Takemura’s research were the base for western articles and books on the subject.

I see both as my sensei, and I have tremendous respect for them. As you know, respect is an essential aspect of Japanese culture.

So very true, Luc. Unfortunately, this is not always recognized or it is simply ignored. We have much to learn.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..