Ww2 Showa Blade And Fittings But With Hamon

I posted this sword yesterday without any knowledge and seems that it a showa blade much to my disapointment  , but it still seems like an ok sword , I was wondering is the hamon maybe acid etched or was it maybe folded I really don't much about these swords date and how they were made also how much are they worth etc , any help would be great ,thankyou

This hamon is probably oil quenched and so it is not an etched hamon. This sword has similar properties to traditionally made blades however some steps in the forging process were modified, skipped, and sometimes done by an inexperienced smith. The stamp indicates this. Yours seems to be in good period condition with good mounts and a tassel. WW2 swords market seem to be on a high right now so selling yours may bring good money..

• Like 3

Hello Matthew.

Have you been to Clare in Suffolk by chance?

Nice looking sword.

hi there, yes I bought this from the local auction , the auctioneer sent me a picture of the signature but this did not show the showa stamp and so I thought I was getting an older blade and this was how the auctioneer also described it , sadly it looks like I paid to much for a ww2 era blade

This hamon is probably oil quenched and so it is not an etched hamon. This sword has similar properties to traditionally made blades however some steps in the forging process were modified, skipped, and sometimes done by an inexperienced smith. The stamp indicates this. Yours seems to be in good period condition with good mounts and a tassel. WW2 swords market seem to be on a high right now so selling yours may bring good money..

hi there thanks for your information

.....but it still seems like an ok sword , I was wondering is the hamon maybe acid etched or was it maybe folded 

Matthew,

as you can see from Dave's attached info paper, folded steel and HAMON are different features. Quenching in water for an 'active' HAMON requires a very pure steel free of alloy elements (except carbon), but most industrial steels (which can contain elements like manganese, silica, chromium, nickel, vanadium a.s.o.) have to be quenched in oil to prevent cracks.

Certainly it is 'an o.k. sword', depending on what you were looking for. It is a modern war relic, not a SAMURAI sword.   

• Like 1

The interest in Showa-to is rising every day. The prices get higher. It is a very interesting and well documented period in the world of nihon-to. In some years these swords will be 100 years old and the follow generations will not look bad on these swords. They are true war swords from one of the darkest period in mankind.

• Like 1

Chris. well said. But putting value aside, the SHOWA-TO is an example of swords used in war. They were not DRESS swords like those carried by other countries armed forces. They were a formidable weapon of combat. A Japanese officer without his sword was disgraced and lost face. So when I handle a GUNTO, I also think about the officer who carried it to war, and as such give it respect as he would have done. So Matthew, yours is not JUST a piece of war memorabilia, it represents a lot more than that. And 75 years ago, an officer cared for it, could have died with it........makes you think doesn't it. Neil.  

• Like 3

Chris. well said. But putting value aside, the SHOWA-TO is an example of swords used in war. They were not DRESS swords like those carried by other countries armed forces. They were a formidable weapon of combat. A Japanese officer without his sword was disgraced and lost face. So when I handle a GUNTO, I also think about the officer who carried it to war, and as such give it respect as he would have done. So Matthew, yours is not JUST a piece of war memorabilia, it represents a lot more than that. And 75 years ago, an officer cared for it, could have died with it........makes you think doesn't it. Neil.  

I feel like I am missing something here, BUT I do NOT see a "showa stamp." In fact an easy check of literature that should be handy to ALL OF US, suggests that there were a couple Edo and late Edo period smiths from Seki who signed Kanetaka. The signatures of the listed Showa era smith of that name do not look like this. In fact, I would bet that this is a shinto sword.

Peter

• Like 2

If it is a Sho stamp, then I suggest this. The blade was originally made for Buke-Zukuri mounts, as many were, and then fitted with Shin-Gunto Koshirae when the owner got his commission and went to war. This would also explain the better quality compared to the general run of swords from this smith.

post-2218-0-49593000-1510830931_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hello,

While trying to keep an open mind to those suggesting an older blade, which now I think with these additional clear images has been put to rest, a reminder that as we evaluate swords it is important to keep in mind and separate those features which can be altered and those that can't or would be very difficult to alter without going through much difficulty. Holes, rust, can be doctored. For me the color of the steel definitely pointed away from an older blade, certainly not Shinto in my mind.

Edited by nagamaki - Franco
  • Like 1

The "Sho" stamp is a manufacturers stamp, and means non traditional in some way. The STAR stamp mean that it is recognised as traditional (tamahagane) in manufacture by the IJA  procurement organisation.

Non traditional covers a multitude of methods. Personally I do wonder how IJA officers saw this at the time, did they prefer a state of the art cutter, or a homage to their samurai tradition.  

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..