Robert Haynes Short Nbthk History

Yes. Bob Haynes certainly has the background and historical/cultural experience to give insight on this. I hadn't seen this article yet.

Any organization that holds a monopoly on designating and assigning value to a desirable, valuable commodity and the rules used to control this value is open to a great deal of collusion. Interesting about the Yakuza. Did not know that. Even without the criminal influence, human nature and the temptation to create and control the market for what one is dealing in could be regarded with suspicion.

As a beginner I find this depressing. But it is also a good motivator for me to study harder so I can make my own evaluations. Always a good idea to think for yourself despite what other collectors might say, especially when collecting antiques of any category. I've picked up a lot of pieces that other collectors "passed" on because I had the confidence of an experienced eye. Too bad it will be a long time before I can enjoy this same advantage with Japanese swords.

tom

• Like 1

I've never met Robert Haynes nor was I alive in the early days of NBTHK or even during the "Yakuza crisis". But I got from the article that he has quite negative view of the modern day NBTHK. Living in different continent and different era I personally have quite different views as I am very appreciative of NBTHK and its international branches.

Where would Japanese sword collecting be without the NBTHK might be the question? I personally appreciate NTHK, NTHK NPO, JSSUS, European organizations etc. everyone promoting the study and collecting of Japanese swords is doing are great job. Of course as it is with humans there will always be power struggles.

Stories are always different depending on who is telling them. It was nice to hear his point of view.

• Like 7

Jussi is a master of diplomacy.  I’m not, so I have to bite my tongue, because if I said what I really think about that ShibuiSwords article, Brian would surely disallow it for “flaming.”

My take:  Today’s NBTHK is the force that keeps the world of Japanese swords and fittings reasonably stable.  Without it, this collecting community would be in complete chaos.  The NBTHK also publishes reference books and a monthly educational journal, maintains the sword museum which we are all welcome to visit, and holds periodic conventions at which one can study in hand some of the finest items in existence.  These activities promote and encourage the study and appreciation of nihonto and related crafts.  Who else is doing anything comparable?

Have there been problems in the past?  Apparently so, although the magnitude varies considerably with the teller.  How many service organizations have been lily-pure since day one? (Think governments, churches, NGOs, …)  We should focus on what the NBTHK is doing now, not how it once was.  I for one am grateful for the NBTHK, and think it deserves our respect and support.

Les

• Like 8

We should focus on what the NBTHK is doing now, not how it once was.  I for one am grateful for the NBTHK, and think it deserves our respect and support.

Les

I know a guy who killed two people, but today he's supposed to be worthy. Should I be friends with him?

In my experience, many people who are disgruntled with the NBTHK didn't get the attribution they hoped for at one point or another (or even always).

As the German saying goes: "Wenn der Bauer nicht schwimmen kann, ist die Badehose schuld" (if the farmer can't swim, his trunks are to blame for it).

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..