Practicing Reading Nthk Papers

EdWolf

Hi to all,

Reading sword appreciation papers is one magic thing for me. To upgrade my skills I was practicing trying to read an example. But after a few hours searching the internet and reading books I still can’t figure out the boshi and the hamon part (only a small part). Can someone please help me?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Ed

post-3919-0-43698400-1510321819_thumb.png

Hi Ed,

I'll have a go at filling in some of the gaps:

Hamon: 中直ぐ刃調 に 小乱れ交じり - Chu suguba chyo ni ko midare majiri - Chu suguba style mixed with ko midare.

Boshi: 細 - hoso - thin, narrow. 焼 きつめ風 yakitsume style. So thin suguba with no turnback (kaeri).

Nakago: 個 - this kanji is linked to the number previously and is the appropriate article used when counting holes. So this section reads "Mekugi ana mitsu ko".

Date: as you realised the last column gives an approximate date in this case "Mei Wa goro". 頃 = goro = around or about. 

I hope that helps.

頑張って下さい!!

• Like 2

Not that impressive - I can read a few kanji and work out the meanings of some others but it will be a long long time before I can simply read something without referring to a dictionary.

Good luck with your efforts - it's certainly easier when you find it fun.

Best,

John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..