Where/how To Buy First Sword?

Is there a correlation between price and origami? In other words, is it fair to say that a hozon sword will cost between X and Y, and a juyo token sword will cost between Y and Z?

Jeff,

Like many have advised, it's best to make some in roads into study before you buy. 

As to your question, yes and no. See? it's not easy. I don't want to diverge into woods in the road on another topic about papers.

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

There is a correlation between price and paper but it is complicated.  You might say, "All things being equal, a sword with Hozon will bring $X and a sword with Juyo will bring $3 to 5X" but all things are never equal.  I could spend the whole evening writing what I think I know about price and paper, but i doubt it would help you much.

Let me echo what others have been saying: don't be in a hurry to spend your money.  The more you know about Nihonto before you buy one the happier you will be with the one you buy; guaranteed.  There will always be great swords to buy.  Take your time to learn about Nihonto, and all along us dealers will be treating you like a prince in hopes that you will come to us when the time arrives.

Grey

• Like 3

I bought my first sword from Pablo Kuntz at Uniquejapan.  He sometimes has swords on his website, but most often he sells privately.  Both of the swords I bought from him never made it to his site.

I feel he will give you honest advice and will help,  one of the swords i bought achieved Yushu with NTHK, which made me happy.

I have met Darcy, Mike Y, both and can say that they are both honest and helpful guys too; in fact everyone here on NMB are helpful!!

Hope that helps! 

• Like 1

Hello Jeff

Your at the "Now that I have realized that life is unbearable without owning a katana" stage, we have all been there. 

I'm reminded of a friend who "always" wanted a motorcycle, he passed his test then went out and went straight for an R1. He didn't have it long for a few reasons, 1) It was too fast 2) bikes were not for him. My point being, before you go out spending big bucks on a sword, get your feet wet first to see if you would enjoy it (as others have pointed out). You don't need a 25k dose of buyers remorse.

Think of swords as a luxury and not investments (as been said countless times), nothing comes with a guarantee.

• Like 1

Jeffery 

This is your mother, what is all this talk about Japanese swords, for what is your want of these such things?

Is this about the these investments you do? that hideous Jackson Polock whats his name in storage?? With the paint all over the place!! oy vey!

Like the 1968 Cobra in storage??? Is this what you do with your inheritance?? You should call your mother!

Your aunt has a friend who has a friend who has a friend in Des Moines, he says you should buy one of his swords for a third of the money n take it to the NYC meeting Dec 3rd, so they can tell you all the bad things about buying a kazuichi mono sword and how much you have over spent, Its better to uy one to learn from whats wrong with a sword. Learning is much faster with mistakes he goes on and on....

So he says

Love Mom

Jeff we have a PM function if your running mobil mode you wont see the letter on top bar with a red number on it. or check your spam folder for message from NMB

Cheers grin grin wink wink

• Like 3

Hello:

Well Jeff you've been given lots of good and well meaning advice, most of it on the side of aesthetics and learning and appreciation. Beware of the lure of "investment" however as "art investment" is right up there with the TV hucksters touting the "certainty" of gold and silver prices going through the roof, with never a probability affixed to it, or when the when is. The whole world of tangibles that could be collected is undergoing real transformations in all collecting areas, and the future, as always, is uncertain. So learn about swords, enjoy them for their beauty and historical context, and let the financial side take its uncertain course.

Arnold F.

• Like 6

by Kokan Nagayama  $60

by Paul Martin and Nobuo Nakahara  $27

by John M. Yumoto and T. C. Ford $20

The prices are from amazon.

While your thinking it over, these are a few books I read when I was just starting in.  These books should give a good overview of Nihonto and what all is out there.  That way you can start to pinpoint what you want your first to be.  These are some deeeeeeeeep waters lol.  

• Like 2

Jeff-

NYC Club is a good one. I miss it much.

On the surface, the club focuses more on fittings now that some of the previous generation sword collectors have passed or moved away.

Over time, some of the members will share exceptional blades with you. It might take 10 years before you understand what you just saw and why it is Tokubetsu Juyo.

I remember being handed a small simple signed Awataguchi Yoshimitsu tanto, with no awareness or understanding at the time why it was worth about $100,000.

Everyone else has given you good advice, and probably more than you can comprehend or digest at the moment.

Good luck.

Curran

in beach paradise FL,

who would much rather be back in the Urban Jungle napping on a couch in an art museum.

• Like 4

You've gotten a lot of good advice. I agree with most of it but I have two pieces to add.

Attend a sword show and look at much in your price range.

Buy one piece and while studying see that you can, and like to take care of it. Make you feel like it's a privilege every time you take it out and not a chore.

It's not so easy to sell a sword over 20k. Just make sure this is not a passing interest for you. It takes a long time to learn just a little in this field. You'll see something you like better in short time probably.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..