Bronzes/okimono

Brian

Hello Guys, :)

Thought I'd post/show a Japanese Mother and Child Statue.

I got his a while back.

I'm not sure if this "qualifies" as a Japanese Okimono.

Painted Pewter?

The Mother's smile was so charming, I had to get it.

The "Tree/Wood Stock' next to the Mother and Child Statue, was "made" be me..

I found it in a pile of tree trimmings that someone threw out.

I aged it and stained it..

Now, it looks kinda authentic "Japanese".. :)

post-2090-0-37068200-1510781592_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hmmm... this thread could be the start of something for me.

The other day visiting the antiques market at Kitano Tenmangu in Kyoto I spotted a small bronze cockerel/rooster. Normally it would have stayed on display there but somehow this one decided to go home with me.

This is probably the first time I have ever consciously bought a bronze as a decorative piece, although I do have a small pair of shishi bunchin (if that is what they are), rather like yamabiru above. (In a pair, though, so brush holders, chopstick stands, incense stands?)

In the UK I have three duck-shaped weights, S,M,L, which must be bronze. Here I have two gun-metal gunpowder testers and a small bronze(?) Lantaka cannon, but now, I am the proud owner of a strutting male chicken! Fits in the palm of my hand.

post-416-0-02996200-1514458261_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Hmmm... this thread could be the start of something for me.

The other day visiting the antiques market at Kitano Tenmangu in Kyoto I spotted a small bronze cockerel/rooster. Normally it would have stayed on display there but somehow this one decided to go home with me.

This is probably the first time I have ever consciously bought a bronze as a decorative piece, although I do have a small pair of shishi bunchin (if that is what they are), rather like yamabiru above. (In a pair, though, so brush holders, chopstick stands, incense stands?)

In the UK I have three duck-shaped weights, S,M,L, which must be bronze. Here I have two gun-metal gunpowder testers and a small bronze(?) Lantaka cannon, but now, I am the proud owner of a strutting male chicken! Fits in the palm of my hand.

Nice c*ck, well it is still the year of the rooster so good timing :)

Love tiny bronzes as they are affordable for me

Would love to see pics of the cannon

And Tanto54-san, imagine the casting of that piece?! Very nice.

• Like 2

Dear Brian,

My "ookii-okimono" (Dragons & Urn) is a chozubachi from a temizuya (a water fountain used to perform ablution or to wash your hand/mouth before praying in a Shinto Shrine - for example in a large public shrine or a private shrine in a daimyo's garden).  The Dragon on top has a pipe running through its body and into its mouth.  In use, water would have run out of it's mouth into the urn below, which was filled with water that then ran out of the spouts around the urn into a pond below.  The patina arose from hundreds of years of exposure to water and the elements.  This particular chozubachi was already an antique when it was taken from Japan in the late 1800's and installed as a central fountain in an estate in the US.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..