Koa Isshin Mantetsu

Shamsy

Hi Steve,

That is why pictures are good.  Your sword is in much better condition than I envisioned from your description  :clap: .   Scratches, tarnish, a few spots of rust are things which should be expected on these blades. 95% or more of them have received no proper care since the war. That is over sixty years ago, so a certain amount of wear and tear is expected.  Bends, large chips, cracks etc., are different.   

From what I see yours should bring somewhere in the $1800-$2500 range.  Just my guestiment, it and $5 will get you a coffee most places. (plain coffee no fancy lattes).

Most people do not regard them as qualifiers for polish as you will pay as much for polish as the blade, maybe more. I have only seen two Mantetsu which have been polished, Bruce's father's bring back and my wakizashi.  Bruce had sentimental reason, and my wak was polished when I got it, and I presume it was polished only due to a Mantetsu wakizashi being soooo rare.

PS: I have to eat my words from above ("The nakago looks more rusted than most, if not all I have seen".)    I picked up another one of these yesterday and it looks just like yours  :laughing:

• Like 4

Brian, given the ongoing interest in Mantetsu, and the ongoing increase in value, maybe a sticky would be in order.

Strictly technical, divided into stages of production, examples shown, quality sources cited, no discussions about blood etc.

This comment is not a critique of this good thread, but suggested in order to create a long lasting, authoritative thread on this site.

If it already exists, in some form here, so much the better, I am aware there is already some fairly good info elsewhere on the net.

Except, we don't want to encourage Mantetsu prices to rise, naturally..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..