An ''i Shouldn't Have Mucked About With It'' Aikuchi Tanto

GuyC

First a disclaimer. I bought this when I started collecting swords before I settled on European Military as my main area of interest. I didn’t know much but wanted some real Nihonto. This didn’t cost a lot so I accepted poor quality as long as it was a traditional blade. This had a huge chip in the edge and as I lacked appreciation of Japanese swords I polished it out. I know better now. Please feel free to criticise my actions but be aware I now understand my transgressions. That out of the way what can people tell me about this tanto? Signed Naoyoshi ( 1818-1865 Mikawa, Son of the 6th generation Mishina Naomichi?)

Original sellers description:

Shinshinto tanto in nice koshirae signed Naoyoshi

Signed tanto

Nagasa: 23cm

Nakago: 1mekugi-ana,

Mei: Naoyoshi

Hamon: Sughua

Hada: itame

Boshi: komaru

Sugata: hira sukuri

Blade in bad polish there are no fatal damages, nice matching koshirae, kashira, guchi and saya all with cherry blossom, all in all a nice tanto that will polish out nicely.

Naoyoshi was active in shinshinto era and is mentioned in the Nihonto Kozan.

My stats:

Nagasa 8” (20.3 cm) Measured to Mune Machi

Nakago 3” (7.5 cm)

Mihaba (Blade Width) at Machi 0.93” (23.7mm), mid blade 0.79” (20.1mm), 2 inches from tip 0.77” (19.7mm)

Kasane (Blade Thickness) at Machi 0.27” (6.9mm), mid blade 0.24”(6.1mm), 2 inches from tip 0.23” (5.9mm)

Blade weight 4.9oz (140gm)

The blade had a large chip on edge towards mid blade. Did not completely destroy hamon so polished out. Hamon very narrow. One flaw on edge on one side of the blade but does not go through to the other side. Some activity in the blade but the hada which seems to have a wave pattern is difficult to see or photograph.  (I have done my best with a usb microscope)There is a very narrow Suguha hamon  Scratch pattern gilt habaki. Sageo is modern silk addition. I like this tanto so I don't mind if I'm told it is worthless or ruined, I will be keeping it as an example of a genuine Nihonto (I hope) Pics with green background are the blade as purchased.

post-4257-0-18880900-1509969060_thumb.jpg

post-4257-0-84942800-1509969097_thumb.jpg

post-4257-0-40716200-1509969112_thumb.jpg

post-4257-0-77695400-1509969132_thumb.jpg

post-4257-0-66579000-1509969188_thumb.jpg

post-4257-0-50126200-1509969218_thumb.jpg

post-4257-0-16299500-1509969234_thumb.jpg

post-4257-0-97618200-1509969659_thumb.jpg

post-4257-0-56189300-1509969794_thumb.jpg

post-4257-0-48030900-1509970014_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I am not well versed in later swords. I think the signature looks poorly cut but I couldn't find a comparison example from Mikawa Naoyoshi with this signature. Here is one of his later signature Naoyoshi 直義 : http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/14976-new-acquisition-temple-sword/

Please excuse my appalling ignorance but I am not well versed in reading Kanji. (Understatement   :unsure:  )  Could this be interpreted as Yoshinao. Seems the wrong way round but it is the only way I can get a recognised name out of 善直

Just been going through the original documentation I got when I purchased this several years ago and found this:

Naoyoshi 直吉, 1818-1865, Mikawa, Son of the 6th generation Mishina Naomichi was born in Owari. Also used the name of Naoyoshi, 直義. Student of Hamabe Toshizane 寿実 and Taikei Naotane 大慶直胤. Early works are Hamabe style kiku-choji midare and later ones are gunome midare with nie.

Does this make any more sense?

Guy,

I think you are going the wrong way. Look at the blade first, at its features,  at its bad flaw, and then you get a sense of the quality. The signature of the smith should confirm the blade, and its features should reflect his working style and quality.

The smiths you found out are famous for their exceptional work. So whatever the signature is, first question is what the blade tells you in terms of quality.

The actual shape is heavily damaged, but a restoration will have more of a problem with the FUKURE (blister).

I understand that you are curious to find out who made the blade. The signature may help in a way to guess the time when it was made. If a blade bears a (GIMEI) signature of a famous smith of the 19th century, you can be sure it was made later in an attempt to profit from the reputation of this well known master smith.

So cool down a bit - I can understand your excitement, as I suffered it several times myself! You will learn from your blade, and that is the main thing! 

Jean

Thanks for the advice, it's not so much excitement as I have had the blade for several years. I have a few poor quality Nihonto that I am keen to find out more about. I do need to slow down but I always want to rush to the next blade as soon as I have dealt the last one. I haven't been a member long and I have already fired three swords at the forum and received top class information back in return  I will not be disappointed to learn they are gimei or have flaws, for the money I paid I would not expect anything more.  I am keen to get information and opinions about them to better place them in their historical context.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..