Good 'o "changes In The Shape Of The Japanese Sword"

Hello Guys,

I think I finally got "My Collection"..

I was trying to "Collect" the different " Blade Shapes Throughout the Ages", as, the popular

display of Blades, used in that photo everyone sees.. :)

I think those Wakizashis,might be in the wrong places.. :doh:

You guys like to Play "Musical Chairs"  with the order I have them in? :)

1 Mumei - * Wakizashi - Gisuki - ***Koto

2 Noritsune - Tachi - Mei - NRO404 - Kamakura - Double Bohi

3 Morikuni - * Katana Morikuni - ***Koto

4 Mumei - * Wakizashi - ***Koto - Double Bohi

5 Kanesada - Mei (?)

6 Mumei - Wakizashi - Edo (?)

7 Kanemitsu - Wakizashi (?)

8 Mumei - Wakizashi - ***Koto

9 Mumei - ** - Katana - Hoki No kami Nobutaka - Shinto - Nedai

10 Fujiwara Kunihiro - Wakizashi - Mei - Edo

11 Naokatsu - Katana - Edo - Bakamatsu

12 Mumei - Katana - Edo

* Origami

** LOA - Bob Benson - Togishi

*** Listed as Koto Blades

post-2090-0-19651900-1509812273_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I think it is quite difficult task Alton.

But here are maybe some pointers.

2. Noritsune I notice that this does not have a paper. Noritsune is quite rare name, most of them are early Bizen smiths and few other early smiths too. Could you show the signature on this tachi? If it is legitimate signature it is highly valuable. Of course there is always possibility of an unknown smith.

1. If you have attribution to Gisuke it means Shimada Yoshisuke. 1st gen (Gisuke) would be in the middle of 1400's. There are 9 gens coming up until mid 1700's. I'd guess a long hira-zukuri wakizashi like that one could be from 1500's.

3. Morikuni, seeing this signature too would help a lot. There are Morikuni smiths in many provinces during Muromachi period & Edo period. This looks like shortened and quite curved so would be nice to see the tang and sword more closely.

4,5,6,7,8 are pretty difficult to guess like you I'd throw in Late Muromachi - Edo to these. Many Kanesada & Kanemitsu smiths in Mino.

I like you picture and idea for collecting. :) I hope we can offer you more help if you need.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for posting Jussi.

1. If you have attribution to Gisuke it means Shimada Yoshisuke. 1st gen (Gisuke) would be in the middle of 1400's. There are 9 gens coming up until mid 1700's. I'd guess a long hira-zukuri wakizashi like that one could be from 1500's.

I do remember "somehow linking" Shimada to that name.

Attached is the Origami :

post-2090-0-90677200-1510139134_thumb.jpg

post-2090-0-39967800-1510139424_thumb.jpg

About the Tachi...

Thanks for your thoughts Jussi.. :)

2. Noritsune I notice that this does not have a paper. Noritsune is quite rare name, most of them are early Bizen smiths and few other early smiths too. Could you show the signature on this tachi? If it is legitimate signature it is highly valuable. Of course there is always possibility of an unknown smith.

Attached is a page with a  "highlighted" section , that came with the Tachi. The Nakago Mei, and, Koshi Bi on the Tachi Blade.

Thanks for viewing and helping..

Alton :)

post-2090-0-30335400-1510139866_thumb.jpg

post-2090-0-21229000-1510139912_thumb.jpg

post-2090-0-21121600-1510140424_thumb.jpg

3. Morikuni, seeing this signature too would help a lot. There are Morikuni smiths in many provinces during Muromachi period & Edo period. This looks like shortened and quite curved so would be nice to see the tang and sword more closely.

Attached is the Morikuni Origami, and, Nakgo Mei Photo. :)

post-2090-0-70838000-1510141570_thumb.jpg

post-2090-0-78703400-1510141588_thumb.jpg

post-2090-0-00888100-1510142149_thumb.jpg

For the Shimada Yoshisuke wakizashi, the papers give Tenshō as the era. That would point it at the latter part of 1500's. As the sword received attribution to Shimada Yoshisuke rather than just plain Shimada I'd think it's good quality Shimada work.

Unfortunately I can't say much about the tachi. The highlighted section has some high quality early school Noritsune smiths highlighted. From right to left Yoshioka Ichimonji, Ko-Aoe, Katayama

Narishige has the added part in brackets, province unknown, era Muromachi. Narishige seems to be very rare name, only 3 smiths listed during Muromachi in Sesko Index. Kuni fumei is very reasonable explanation in a case like this as signature is rare and there is a high chance the smith is unknown. I have kuni fumei on other one of my tachi and I think it is perfectly reasonable as it is (most likely) not work of famous smiths of same name working at same time period.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..