Sword Smith YASU SHIGE. KOTO Period?

bullpuppy

Love the new web site. I posted this on the old site but will post it here also. There was an error in the description.

The pictures are as follows:

http://bladerunnerswords.spaces.live.com/photos/

I am looking at purchasing this sword but I cannot tie Yasushige to the period indicated. The owner has the following info:

THIS IS BEAUTIFULL KOTO UCHI KATANA IN NICE POLISH IN FULL KOSHIRAE .THE SWORD IS 103CM LONG WITH 68 CM LONG BLADE AND 53.5 CM LONG NAGASA.SWORD IS 29 MM WIDE AND 8 MM THICK. TANG IS 13 CM LONG WITH NICE DARK CHOCOLATE PATINA. SIGNATURES YASU SHIGE HIS NAME IS ALSO SENJUIN. EIWA ERA. FROM MINO PROVINCE IN 1375AD. FROM AKASAKAGROUP FROM AKASAKA VILGE. HADA IS MOKUME . YOU CAN SEE IT ALL THE WAY TO THE POINT. HAMON IS NICE WIDE VERY RARE SHUGU GUNOME VERY VISIBLE FROM DISTANCE. NIE IS VISIBLE AND BEAUTIFULL. SORI IS SAKI- ZORI. CHU KISSAKI WITH LONG TURN BACK. TSUKORIKOMI IS SHINOGI - ZUKURI. THIS IS VERY NICE WORK WITH NO BENDS WITH JUST LITTLE RUST DOTS AND COUPLE TINI WARE. - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT .THERE IS NO SERIOUS DAMAGE EDGE IS COMPLETELY NICE ONLY ONE KIRIKOMI- HONORABLE FLAW OF BATTLE. CONDITION AND IT IS VERY SHARP. ALL THE PARTS OF THE SWORD ARE FOTOGRAFED.THE FITTINGS ARE ALL ORIGINAL MATCHING EDO PERIOD SHAKUDO IT TOP QUALITY CONDITION .THE SAYA WAS COMPLETELY RESTORED WITH DEEP BLACK LAQUER FINISH.AGE UNKNOWN. IT IS 76 CM LONG. SAGEO IS SILK. TSUBA IS MATCHING SHAKUDO. TSUKA HAS VERY NICE TOTALY UNDAMAGED SILK WRAP AND MATCHING EDO PERIOD MENUKI. TSUKA IS 27.5 CM LONG. HABAKI SI BRASS IN NICE CONDITION PLEASE LOOK CAREFULLY AND DECIDE FOR YOUR SELF.

Hi.

Welcome to the board. It would be appreciated if you could please sign your posts with at least a first name and initial, or initial and surname. Easiest to add this in your profile if you like.

The best info I could find on short notice is at:

http://www.reninet.com/shoshin/yam4.htm

Yamato smith, Senjuin school.

Not quite sure what the seller means by rare shugu gunome. maybe he means suguha/gunome mix or a suguha with ko gunome?

If he is referring to Senjuin Yasushige then that would be the early 1300's smith. There are a few discrepancies in the description, but didn't go through all the pics. Can't tell you if it is gimei or not, but without proper papers or opinion, I would always treat swords like this as gimei until proven otherwise, and buy the work, not the name.

Btw..this one doesn't have long to go.....so you don't have very much time to decide :)

Good luck.

Brian

It's a wakizashi and the mounts look like a modern put together job. The tsuka has definitely been re-wrapped recently.

It looks like a gimei as well. You could do much better for a first sword.

Update: Just saw the wak on ebay, it's already about $600 overpriced in my opinion.

I've had a look at ebay and I reckon this wak is probably the most interesting at the moment:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&item=220015006668

Hi Tim,

I do not know the Mei is gimei or not. Any way the Mei reads,

武州下原住康重

Bushu Shimohara ju Yasushige.

There were several generations of Yasushige with this Mei from late Muromachi to Shinto era in Musahi according to one of my books witten by Mr. Tokunou.

There is nothing to do with Akasaka Senjuin, I think.

This just doesn't look right... for a few reasons.

The mei looks a very odd color of black. Perhaps it's the photography, but it almost looks as if the mei has been patenated or lacquered in some way... it has the same kind of reflective black pigment one finds on tsuba. Very strange.

Also, there are two different handles being shown: one with yellow silk cord the other with black. While it does kind of look like "a modern put-together" peice, none of the fittings shown look especially impressive or have that classic Japanese asthetic that we have all come to admire.

Our opinions are based purely on the photos you supply. We see a lot of Chinese junk, and poor grade nihonto, so unless the pictures are good most of us tend to be conservative with our opinions. A really good shot of the tip of the blade showing the hamon, pictures of the ha-machi, and the mei are very helpful in assessing the blade. Close-ups of the tsuba, fuchi, and kashira are helpful in assessing the fittings.

The other posters are right, $800 is probably too much for a gimei wakizashi. But if it were to pass shinsa, then that would be another matter.

DavidF (formerly Theologian).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..