New Owner Seeking Info On Blade

Therickef2

Hello, my father picked this Nihonto up recently for next to nothing at a garage sale. All that was known about it is that it was brought back from the Philippines after WW2. Attached are a few photos my dad took when he got home and then put it away. He did not take any measurements at that time but will if needed for deeper discussion. He will probably give it to me for Christmas ????I will just need to make him a few knives. I am not looking to sell it, just love the style and love the history behind the old stuff I own. Thanks in advance.

Rick V.

post-4288-0-38321700-1509769394_thumb.jpeg

post-4288-0-46371400-1509769416_thumb.jpeg

post-4288-0-92021200-1509769440_thumb.jpeg

post-4288-0-30377400-1509769468_thumb.jpeg

post-4288-0-31594700-1509769486_thumb.jpeg

post-4288-0-29362400-1509769511_thumb.jpeg

post-4288-0-72770800-1509769543_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Rick. Yes, your father did well, & if he gave it to you, it will be tad more expensive should you decide to rehabilitate the blade & koshirae.

First, the tip looks like it's about to fall off, so a togishi (traditionally-trained polisher) will need to reshape the boshi (the area around the tip). At the same time, he will get rid of the numerous nail-catchers along the edge of the hamon (cutting-edge area), & polish out the rust & other spots along the blade. This is a slow, laborious process, & you can guesstimate $100 per inch for that.

The koshirae (pretty much the rest of it, other than the tsuba [sword guard] & a few other items), will require several different sets of skills. The tsuka (handle) will be rebuilt by a different person than the saya (sheath), as experts are trained in their specific areas. I'm not going to hazard a guess on that cost.

You can, of course, leave the blade just as it is, with a thin coat of oil on all parts of the blade except the nakago (metal handle of the blade), & enjoy it for what it is. It was likely made in the Kanbun era (mid-1660s), based on its sugata (blade shape). The surface of the blade isn't in good enough condition to tell much of anything else. The koshirae was likely made & added much later.

Buy some books (there are many threads on this forum on what to start with), study, & enjoy!

Ken

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..