I've Made A Mistake!

I recently stuck up for Australia Post, stating that I've never experienced any issues with them or the Border Force. Wrong!

While I was returning a sword, all seemed to be going well at the Post Office. They're a good bunch there, calm and not prone to foolish outbursts or ignorant parroting. So off to a good start, tracking, SMS updates in place... and nothing, the package was lost for two weeks. I get a call. It was found, minus the shipping label. That's good news! I'm relieved frankly, so let it go.

A week later there hasn't been an update. So I call in again to find out what has happened. I'm told the sword is being returned to me!! Over three weeks and it's on its way back! I'm pretty grumpy at this stage. Australia Post blame Border Force (customs). I'm sure they'll just blame each other.

So I lodged a complaint, because I expect my money back of course. After all, there's absolutely no issue with sending swords to the US. I mean, it did come from there, this is a return. The answer I got is what tipped me over the edge. A copy - paste reply, addressing nothing and directing me to a page from Australia Post that states knives and weapons (what's that cover exactly?) are not able to be sent. It has to be taking the mickey now, because I'm told to contact the US embassy!! To top it off, resolved, case closed!

So I spent 10 seconds of my time searching for importing swords into the US... There it is! No restrictions! Knives too, except spring or ballistic knives (fair enough really). Oh, people with one arm exempt on the spring assist.

So I've raised the complaint again and also lodged a further complaint with the Commonwealth Ombudsman. I think it's about time that instead of meekly saying "oh well" something is done, which unfortunately now means having to resort to higher officer. What a terrible state of affairs.

If anyone is interested in my rant, I'll let you know how it pans out. Hopefully my incoming parcels don't all arrive with shoe treads all over them.

• Like 5

Hi Bazza, great to see you're still keeping an eye on the rookies here!

The good news is the complaint seems to have 'climbed the pecking order' quite successfully. Turns out that lodging a complaint with the ombudsman is in fact a good way to prevent people from automatically closing a complaint and fobbing you off. I was much more impressed with this response, where I believe the officer actually put in some effort into it this time. So things are looking up. Will keep you posted, but maybe this matter can be finally cleared up, hopefully for the benefit of all Aussie sword collectors.

• Like 2

The sword has arrived back at my local post office, with a dangerous goods sticker on it. Local manager has been fantastic, but I need the help of the U.S. members please.

Could you please provide a link or some such to a page in U.S. customs that states the importation of swords into the U.S. is not restricted? I have the Aussie end covered, but could not find anything on the U.S. side.

Good news folk!

Thanks to the brilliant team at my local office, the sword is off on its way once again! With complementary postage, insurance and tracking. The manager personally saw to the shipment and wrote a long, explanatory note stating the sword was inspected, secure and okay to send. A copy of our Border Security documents was also included.

We think this is just a classic case of the ‘alarmist know-it-all’ and hopefully all will go well this time.

What is funny to me is that the first complaint was closed with no resolution, the ombudsmen complaint got their attention and the original complaint re-opened and better attended, but at the end of the day it was my local post office that sorted it out and provided the care, service and reasonable approach we all want.

I'll keep you posted. Fingers crossed 3rd time's the charm.

• Like 4

Btw I had the same issue trying to send a sword to the US about 6 months ago with the same story that it was due a new arrangement between US and Auspost preventing weapons from being sent and it was returned to me as dangerous goods. I’ve been using DHL ever since with no issues.

• Like 1

9 November 2017

Dear Steve,

I write in reference to your enquiry regarding an International Article CFXXXXXXXXXAU you were posting to the United States that was returned to you before it left the country.

I can see from our system that you have been in communications with our International team to try and reach a resolution in this matter. Your case was escalated to my team to conduct an additional review to see if there was anything further we could do to assist.

I contacted the Manager of the XXXXXXXX Gateway Facility who were responsible for returning this article to you. Whilst they don’t keep a manual record for the reasons why your item was returned they responded and advised the following:

The exportation of swords is not prohibited within Australia Post system and is allowed to be sent to overseas destinations.

However, there are packaging requirements that are required before swords can be shipped overseas.

Below are packaging and labelling requirements particularly for items going to United States. They are not sure whether the original parcel met the requirements or not. If not, then it would have been for that reason why the parcel was returned to the sender.

The packaging for sharp-edged or pointed item must comprise:

Primary wrapping with the sharp edges or points wrapped in or protected by cork, polyurethane foam or similar material.

An outer rigid container of metal, wood, strong plastic or other rigid material.

Please note special markings required on certain articles of foreign origin imported in to the United States

4. Special markings required on certain articles of foreign origin imported in to the United States

(e) Subject to the exceptions prescribed by law, the following articles must be marked legibly and conspicuously to indicate their origin by die-stamping, cast-in-the-mould lettering, etching (acid or electrolytic), engraving, or by means of metal plates which bear the prescribed marking and which are securely attached to the article in a conspicuous place by welding, screws or rivets (TD 53455):

knives having a folding or movable blade;

knives with fixed blades, including forks, steels and cleavers;

clippers, shears and scissors, and blades thereof;

safety razors and parts thereof, for safety razor blades;

You noted in your case that you have sent similar items before with no issues so I’m confident you are aware of the proper packaging requirements. In light of this, it appears your item was returned in error as such, I would like to provide you with a refund of your postage fees. A money order in the amount of $XXXXXX will be posted to you within 10 business days. Once received, you can cash at an Australia Post outlet or deposit at your financial institution. Valid photo identification may be required.

On behalf of Australia Post, I offer my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and frustration caused. Should you wish to discuss this or any other postal matter further, please contact us.

• Like 4

Well I hope it did some good. I guess the lesson for this is that it may pay to state in the declaration that the sword complies with packaging requirements. Otherwise there is no reason we cannot send swords to the States.

This was a two week process to resolve, a lot of misinformation and frustration- probably on both sides. I'm glad it is sorted out and that eventually someone was able to state that Aus Post will in fact carry swords. I've now got documentation I'll be keeping on hand, just in case!

Thanks all for the information when asked, especially Ken who helped assemble a case from the U.S. side.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..