Translation Help

cisco-san

Hello,

I would kindly ask for your help to translate this mei. I guess it is XXXX at Tokiwamatsu, Akihiro saku, but struggling on the other part.

I am not sure, but could it be an early signature from Yoshihara Kuniie?!

See also https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Japanese-SWORD-WITH-SCABBARD-SIGNED-/232534857269?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT&nma=true&si=aFxtfDWI%252FN9A0ivgBL6qBJxyOtM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Many thanks in advance.

Klaus

post-683-0-75128600-1509435267_thumb.jpg

I hate to disagree but, I’m not so sure on that it is a nice deal. It’s out of polish and just sold for $6,700. Add $4k for polish, habaki, and shirasaya and you’ll be into this for just short of $11k and at the end of it, they’ll have a $6-8k sword - maybe more if the polish showed an absolute screamer, but the length is on the short side and will cap the value, so not a ton more.

My opinion - and it’s just that - is that the seller got the better end of this deal by a wide stretch. Given the potential risk from what could be found during polish - and the pics don’t help before pulling the trigger on the buy - I’d not have gone more than $4k for it and that’s assuming that I’m going to keep it. If trying to restore and flip it, I’d have stayed WAY lower than that.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..