Sword Polisher In The Uk

Dereksure

Hi Roy

welcome to the board. I was/am a little reluctant to answer your query as the debate about polishers outside Japan often (and with some justification) causes heated discussion.

Bottom line is that the only people who should polish swords are those in Japan or outside that have undergone apprenticeship in Japan with a fully qualified polisher. 

However there are occasions when this is not a practical solution either logistically or financially and people look for other alternatives. Some of these are very good others less so. Some are extremely dangerous to the wellbeing of the sword.

Based on the above I can only suggest two polishers in the UK. This is not because they are the only ones but they are the only ones I have personal experience of and that I know have had some training from Japanese polishers.

Tony Norman- probably the best known and longest serving polisher in the UK. In the 1980s he trained with Kenji Mishina when he was in the UK . I have had swords polished by Tony and been very happy with them.Unfortunately Tony has had some health issues recently and I think he may have retired but have not had confirmation of that.

Les Stewart- based in Scotland Les visits polishing seminars and training workshops in Japan regularly and has received very positive feedback from Yoshikawa san of the NTHK about examples of his work. He has done some excellent polishes for me.

One of the very positive for both of these gentlemen is that they are both serious collectors and students of the subject and also know if a sword would be better served by being sent to Japan.

As far as I know these are the only two have had any form of Japanese training. Others here may know of and have experience of other people in the U.K.

• Like 1

There have been various posts in the past - did you search the forum? Tony Norman has now retired and I doubt he will take a new commission (though you could ask him....). Les Stewart is another name I have heard and I have seen him demonstrate. But it of course depends on what you are having polished - it is a complex matter and can raise a lot of controversy about what gets polished where by what polishers (traditionally trained in Japan or partially trained in Japan etc). All of this merits a lengthy discussion and probably best handled via PM as well.

Derek, all depends on the sword!!

It is said, Mishina-sensei once visited germany and to this very day all non polished swords ( twilight swords ) need to get advice by him. All collectors got the advice, that none of the swords were worth a polish. Point.

And the following lesson stated that all western collections are are the same kind of collections. The Japanese way to collect follows "the way is the target", as long you are on the way, you are doing good.

So is your sword worth a polish in europe or in Japan?

Best

• Like 1

As Luis said.

And my experience is there are more bad polishers outside than the good ones. The bad is, you have no guarantee for good and none for bad.

I have my doubt that someone who spent thousends of Euro in a polish, after paying said that was a bad polish. You must speak with the man you give your sword. If you have a bad feeling, trust your mind.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..