New Guy Here With A Dusty Old Sword.

brucer

Hi Bruce.

And what John has given you so succinctly means, "Okada Kanesada made this".  Just above the signature is a Seki stamp, top right hand of the hole.  This is the city where it was made and indicates a Showato or non traditionally made sword.

I'm sure we would all like to see images of the whole sword, both in mounts and out.

All the best.

Thank You for the translation by the way, I realize this isn't a valuable sword as I took it to a big gun show and all the sword dealers told me it was junk, one offered me $200 which I turned down, it was my dads and I'll die with it.

• Like 2

Right on Jean, my sentiments exactly ! There were 2 katanas that were supposed to go to me but my dad sold the nicer one back in 1973, there was something special about it, it had gilted fittings and 2 silk cords with tassels, one orange, one purple. Bruce

Hello Bruce,

You should pop the swordsmith's name into a search engine, because that usually provides results with some background info on the smith (birthdate, maybe where he was from or who he studied under), and if the smith is famous or prolific enough, you might find other swords by the same smith that you can use to compare against your sword.

The seki stamp tells you the sword was made in a military arsenal. There is a site dedicated to Japanese war-era swords at the link below that has a lot of information. 

http://ohmura-study.net/900.html

Your pics just identify the sword as a handsome war collectible. The fittings are a bit distressed, but the sword looks good. 

Hi Bruce, pretty standard later war Shin Gunto with combat saya and clip retention. Shame your Dad sold the nicer one, sounded like it had a Field Grade tassel on it (Major to Colonel rank).

However you can get the handle rewrapped without taking away any value, it's a lost cause at this point anyway.

https://www.Japanese-swords.com/pages/hndl.htm

Thank You for the translation by the way, I realize this isn't a valuable sword as I took it to a big gun show and all the sword dealers told me it was junk, one offered me $200 which I turned down, it was my dads and I'll die with it.

It isn't junk Bruce. Let the handle rewarp. I can see the hamon on the pictures. The sword ist in good condition. My experience is don't take out often the wodden saya from the leather. Try to hold the life in the leather (i take "nivea" creme for mine). 

The value is with a wrapped tsuka in this condition between 1.000 - 1.200 EUR in germany. So it has value and it is not junk. And by the way your fathers sword is never junk.

Regards

Chris

I swear all that's holy , the flowers were spaced like that and I grew up with it untill age 16 when my dad sold it. The flowers were on both sides. I'm going to see my mom, I think she has photos of my dad with the Phillipine guerillas and he's got a sword stuck through his belt, maybe that one.. the guerillas liberated him from a pow camp and he stayed and fought with them untill MacArthur got back.

I'd advise getting it done professionally, a good job will add value.

. I remember that the wrap got damaged when my dad let a "buddy" take it apart looking for markings, he simply cut the wrapping with a razor blade ! My Dad wouldn't let him touch the other sword.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..