Aikuchi Tanto Mei

Shikari375

Hello new poster,

Norimichi 法道

See this entry and the one following it

https://nihontoclub.com/smiths/NOR8

I cannot comment on the authenticity of the signature. I will say it is misleading for the seller to list this as unsigned. Unsigned should mean unsigned, and shouldn't have to be second-guessed as a judgement on the existing signature. 

Note the forum rules that require people to sign with a real name. 

• Like 1

John A. S.

I have no idea why it would be listed as 'unsigned'.

The smith is rated as 'jo saku'. I don't think it would be a likely target for gimei signature.

It looks like a nice, and possibly Kambun from the shape.

That also happens to be when the smith worked.

• Like 1

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/mallams-ltd-cheltenham/catalogue-id-srmall10048/lot-e974f92a-e54c-46e2-8499-a80900a9fbe2

Thank you for confirming my guess about the blade, and despite the claim by the auctioneers that it was 19th Century, and with no mention of a signature

This sale did contain gimei pieces, and I guess the auctioneer did not want to legally guarantee the piece by making an attribution.
i bought because it seemed right- and it called to me.

Thank you for giving me the smith's name, and thus confirming my guess of Shinto.

Now- what do you chaps think about the koshirae? Not Meiji bling, in my view, but earlier- when?

In the absence of accurate description by the seller- I am working towards a proper, and more detailed description of this, the latest addition to my modest collection.

Thank you,

John

On further examination I have found a signature in the Aikuchi fittings.

I have taken a look through Markus Sesko's "Signatures of Japanese Sword Fittings Artists" but haven't spotted it.

Can you also help me with this as well, please.

Thank you,

Johnpost-3164-0-22452400-1509377887_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..