Info On Smith 光廣

Henry Wilson

Ah...

ah Ha....

ah Ha Ha Ha...

Well then. My immediate thought is that it looks like the Yagami sort of work.

Aka... the prolific Mitsuhiro boys.

And wait for it.... It is signed "Mitsuhiro saku". Bugger.

They were prolific, but desirable when you find one in very good condition- Be it the 1000 Monkeys, the 1000 Horses, 1000 Dolphins, etc.

I've also seen what top work they can do when they want: Two phenomenally beautiful carp in this facing each other mirror style. That one now belongs to a good collector in the Eastern Hemisphere. I couldn't bag it.

So what do you have here?

Well- Yagami signature and looks like Yagami work.

*Sigh*   now I have to go get out the bigger heavier books from the shelves.

I don't like horsies very much, having ridden too many of them in my countryside youth, but some find them desirable and this is the first of this design I have seen.

Gut instinct is you are looking a "Gift Horse in the Mouth". I'm guessing 3rd gen.....The bigger books will sort it out.

Tomorrow then, if someone else doesn't buy it first.

Curran

• Like 2

BTW the the design is of two ox.

If you say so. I couldn't tell whether there were horns or not. If so, they be a bit on the anorexic side.

I've got insomnia, but it is too late to wake the wife banging around pulling the books off the closet shelves.

Ie. I will look tomorrow.

Bob Benson did a good writeup of the Mitsuhiro line in one of the Bushido magazines.

Going from memory, the signatures could be slightly big and crude at times.

I'm not certain that yours is authentic. I just give it the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

For what it is worth, Oxen designs are rather rare. While they do pop up in some forms, including the 4th gen onwards Akasaka designs,

the earlier ones are rare. Good luck finding a shodai Shimizu Oxen. I know Ito-san has two or three in his books, but they are the Holy Grail for some Higo collectors.

• Like 1

Hi Henry,

When it arrives, please take better pictures of the signature.

From what I can see and compare the authoritative books on such things, the signature looks pretty good. But I wouldn't wager much on that until I can see a better photo.

The devil will be in the details of such things as the Hiro character.

Concern is that Mitsuhiro shodai and nidai tended to sign place name + Mitsuhiro.

In the dozen examples I have, there are none lacking the place name or with 'saku' after the name.

The scope of my signature references may be limited, as I have found them to certainly be with one or two other documented artists.

--- If you have access to the Benson article on that, it should be consulted.

• Like 1

Good morning gentlemen

The sales description described it as two ox. It is interesting how we interpret what we see as at the time it seemed reasonable that the two beasts were ox. The mane in question looked like the ribs that are seen on work of ox in other pieces. See here for examples

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/21344-bullbullsoxen-tsuba/?hl=oxen

However as Curran (who seems to have a very niche taste in manga ????) noted they are quite skinny for ox. On the other hand, I see a horn, but it could be an Edo period mop-top...

post-14-0-23537100-1509145408_thumb.jpg

Also Franco points out a tail that might not be that of a horse.

All in all, with out having it in hand yet it seems that they are indeed horses which makes me wonder why they also appear to be two ox?

A play on a famous motif?

post-14-0-93745200-1509145798_thumb.jpg

An obscure reference to something more profound?

A cheap knock off to fool the foolish?

Old Wilson looking for something that isn't there?

PS. I typed this before i read your post. Thank you Curran for looking up the signature

The tsuba has arrived. The good news is everyone is right! The top beast is a frolicking horse and the bottom is a sitting ox. The tail of the horse seems to circle both figures and there are two leaves on a rope. The metal is very nice; smooth and glossy. The eyes are inlaid with gold as are the leaves, and the modulation and craving of the animals is excellent. The ox is carved to be a bit more chubbier than the horse. All in all, a very pleasing tsuba!

post-14-0-76697000-1509173540_thumb.jpgpost-14-0-94044900-1509173575_thumb.jpgpost-14-0-57940000-1509173612_thumb.jpgpost-14-0-99361300-1509173651_thumb.jpg

Pictures posted from my iPhone so I hope they are ok.

post-14-0-48712300-1509173849_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..