Chances Of Finding/buying Full Koshirae To Fit A Blade

Hello Gentlemen, :)

I was looking around the 'net.  to see  if I could find and buy a "full Koshirae " for a Blade I have.

I did see one I want, and, sent my Blade "Specs" , to see if he/they knew ,or had a blade like it that they could try and "fit" inside.

It was a full Koshirae matching set, meaning complete,  old, Edo Period set.

I did a search about how to find existing Koshirae,

noting came up..

May I ask,

Is buying/finding existing Koshirae to fit a specific blade possible?

Is it often done by you guys?

What was the chances it "did" fit correctly?

Is this "practical"? <  > or only leading to .....     :bang:

Yes, I an aware about some Modifications that "might" have to be done.

Mekugi pin location ( Devalue the authenticity?) , Nakago shape misfits. :doh:

But, it is "Original/Authentic".

Thoughts? Experiences to share with others that might have wanted to do this?

Thanks for viewing...

Alton

I am with Alex

We had a similar debate some time ago about looking for a habaki to fit a blade. The basic answer is don't. The cost of having a koshirae assembled will work out far less than buying one that doesn't fit properly and doing damage through to the blade.

Sorry if this seems a little harsh but we see so many examples of damage done by poorly fitting saya, tsuka and habaki it really isnt worth the risk.

• Like 2

post-2022-0-84728500-1508598438_thumb.jpgpost-2022-0-29025100-1508598457_thumb.jpgFranco has put it right.

Your bought saya, could well accept your blade, and you could be thinking great job done.

Wrong! And wrong it many ways you cannot see from outside. Alex A has it right.

Tsuka, here is a bigger problem, nakago fit and the mekugi ana.

Do you know what the chances are of a match in these areas? At very, very best, nil!

I had this as a decision for a blade.

The only way is a new build, chose your own fittings, get the comfort of those who have the skills around you, and go for it.

Set aside thoughts of future sales costs recovery, you are in the wrong business for that anyway.

• Like 6

I was selling some tsuba at an arms fair in the UK but also took a complete koshirae

A visitor had bought a blade hoping to buy a koshirae for it

It fitted like a glove and I told him jokingly as it was such a good 'fit' the price had gone up!

His blade was not in polish and probably never will be

• Like 1

Hello Guys..

Thanks for the input/replies.

So, Chances are >  Slim..

From Dr. Kevin-john McIntyre - The Soul of the Samurai

" The value of a Japanese Sword is far greater than it's material worth.

It is a repository of history.

It's owner, a temporary guardian of the sprits of the past owners, thus, obligated to cherish, respect, and, maintain it

for future generations .

So, it can pass on to them, the sprit, it embodies."

<><><><><>

1) The best advice was the concern of damaging the blade.

I can see from the initial, and, immediate replies, that this is the primary factor for Nihontoist..

2)  The overall cost ( time and frustration )  "to bring it all together".. -   " Do you know what the chances are of a match in these areas? At very, very best, nil! " Dr. Fox

3)  Koshirae for sale is not necessarily for "re-fitting' on another blade, but, maybe more for collecting.   -    " buy an old original koshirae for itself " Franco

4)   and, the price might go up if it fits.. Grev  :) 

Thanks for your time and for sharing your thoughts gentlemen.

Anyone got a Koto Tachi in old Tachi  Koshirae, for around 3g's ..  Edo period Koshirae is O.K. 

Alton Takata

• Like 1

Ken you can't know what is happened with a sword over the past. If you have a blade and fit it with a genuine koshirae, it is original. Only you is knowing what happened. So the question is not is it authentic? You must ask yourself if you like it. Some swords have so many mekugiana. These past owner didn't care about the changing of the fittings. They do it, because they like it. 

But never put a polish blade in a old saya. Don't do this. 

If your sword is not in the best condition and the saya is dry and don't smell like a swamp. Why not.

Thats my thoughts.

• Like 1

Ken you can't know what is happened with a sword over the past. If you have a blade and fit it with a genuine koshirae, it is original. Only you is knowing what happened. So the question is not is it authentic? You must ask yourself if you like it. Some swords have so many mekugiana. These past owner didn't care about the changing of the fittings. They do it, because they like it. 

But never put a polish blade in a old saya. Don't do this. 

If your sword is not in the best condition and the saya is dry and don't smell like a swamp. Why not.

Thats my thoughts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..