Sadaroku: Two Kanji Mei

Mortis

Gentlemen, 

I am contemplating purchasing this blade, but am first appealing to the more knowledgeable, to help verify legitimacy.  I have no reason to believe otherwise, but in doing some research, I can only seem to find examples with longer signatures, such as Echigo No Kuni Ju Imani Sadaroku Saku and a few other different longer versions.  I can't find any examples with just two kanji.  There is a topic regarding this smith on the NMB from many years ago, but I don't know how to link it.

So, it was translated to me as:

Showa 19 September 1944 

Sadaroku

Also in conjunction, may I ask, what would a fair ballpark value be on this type/era of blade.  The asking price is over $1,500, which I deem as way too high in my novice opinion.  It is just basically just a bare blade, no habaki, and just the upper portion of a shirasaya w/ no tsuka.  The blade itself seems in good shape, maybe a tiny bit of rust here and there from what I can see from photos.  I do realize to get a habaki and shirasaya made would be likely over $1,500.  So, again I ask for opinions to make a fair offer so I'm not upside down on the money or if it's worth it to make an offer at all.  Thank you all for any advise you may impart.

Edit to add:  Thank you, Brian.  I have asked for additional photos of the blade, especially the kissaki, but this is the best one I have currently.

post-3693-0-19845200-1508434958_thumb.jpg

post-3693-0-50308600-1508434979_thumb.jpg

post-3693-0-27286200-1508440246_thumb.jpg

I must say one thing....it is beautifully signed!
Maybe Imai Sadaroku.
Usually the advice would be that this is too much for bare blade basically, but something about the nakago screams quality. We need blade pics, what does the hamon and hada look like?
State of polish?
I'm betting on a fairly nice Gendaito.

• Like 1

WE have talked about Sadaroku before, good gendai smith.... save it!

SADAROKU (貞六), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Niigata – “Sadaroku” (貞六), “Echigo no Kuni-jū Imai Sadaroku saku” (越後国住今井貞六作), real name Imai Yaichi (今井弥一), he worked as rikugun-jumei-tōshō and studied later under Amata Akitsugu (天田昭次), jōko no jōi (Akihide), Second Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941)

Sadaroku had a very bold signature and generally produced suguha hamon, though I've seen(on the net) a choji hamon or two by him.

Your nijimei Sadaroku seems to have the same boldness of style though the Sada kanji is slightly different. Nengo seems to share similar characteristics.

I'd take the gamble that it is shoshin Sadaroku, for what that's worth.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/108386006718265402653/album/AF1QipMqJPcLLfrJRW2PCt7Xg6QU9cc11nIwpmtvpw2F
This was one I sold for $1800 a couple of years ago. With Gunto koshirae, 'war trophy' papers and habaki. Polish was poor. Fairly long nagasa at 27 1/2".

• 4 weeks later...

Asking for input on what this kizu may be, a fukure or a ware, or both? Also, any comments on the significance of said kizu would be much appreciated. The blade in question would be a possible rescue from a certain rusty future and if it would be worthwhile in attempting to save it. I do realize that almost any kind of kizu in gendaito is pretty undesirable.

post-3693-0-76260600-1511545363_thumb.jpg

post-3693-0-35516000-1511545687_thumb.jpg

Justin,

the KIZU are not nice, but they are small. The one in the SHINOGI is not too bad, looks a bit like spider rust in a KITAE WARE. I think, both will be reduced in size in a good polish; the blade seems to have a lot of NIKU.

The starting corrosion looks as I would expect from a handmade (TAMAHAGANE) blade. It is a kind of a gamble, but if you could negotiate the price a little down and save enough money for polish and SHIRA SAYA, you might have a nice and valuable GENDAITO with a potential. 

But keep the complete costs in mind; just possessing the blade in that state won't be a solution.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..