Adding 2Nd Mekugi Ana For Batto ?

Gentlemen,

I have just acquired a preowned Shinsakuto (my first !) for Iai and Batto-do. This sword has only one Mekugi. I am now pondering to have a second Mekugi-Ana drilled for safety reasons. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on whether that would negatively impact the value of the sword ...

Cheers

Banzan

welcome!  this isn't really the right forum to get an answer to that question.  most members are here to talk about the historical preservation/collection of antiques, and will cringe at the thought of alteration for martial arts use.

you might start by telling us what kind of "shinsakuto" you've acquired.

although some modern ryuha (including the one that I study) advocate having two mekugi for safety reasons, most historical examples of nihonto only used a single mekugi.  you could argue that if the tsuka is done properly, you don't need two mekugi.  most of the modern chinese reproductions have two for marketing purposes and because the tsuka and other parts are often not done properly, increasing the chance of failure.

you can expect that people will tell you to "ask your sensei" about altering your blade.  if you don't have one, you might expect some responses telling you not to use a Japanese shinsakuto for unguided training.

having said all that, it wouldn't be too hard to find a craftsman to put a second ana in your blade for you.  naturally though, you'd want to find someone to do it the "right" way.

• Like 1

Dr. Joe,

Thank you very much for your advice and I completely understand that the majority of collectors would shriek at the notion of altering a historical piece. The blade in question was forged by Kiyotsugu Minamoto in the mid-80s. I am studying Toyama Ryu and Sensei, being asked, also told me that, if the tsuka was well fitted, 1 Mekugi would not be a problem but neither objected to my idea of adding a second Mekugi. As a Gendai school Toyama seems to somewhat indifferent towards the swords being used and I have seen other students with swords of „other“ provenance.

Banzan

yes, nakamura taizaboro sensei advocated for two mekugi ana as I recall.

as to your initial question, sometimes the mei on the nakago doesn't leave room for a 2nd ana such that it has to be drilled through the signature.  that might be somewhat aesthetically displeasing, but assuming the second ana were drilled correctly, i don't think it would greatly alter the value of the sword particularly if you were selling to another JSA practitioner.  as an iaito, general use and wear, especially from tameshigiri, will be the main factor leading to depreciation of value.

this all assumes that your blade is actually a shinsakuto and not a gimei komonjo blade like this one currently for sale

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T48-Japanese-Samurai-Sword-Kiyotsugu-Katana-Bare-Blade-78-2-CM-/162707751582

if it's that one, it's a loooong blade for toyama ryu in my opinion and a 2nd mekugi won't matter one way or another.  but you said yours was from the 1980s, so it sounds like you have the real deal.

i have a 1980s blade by minamoto kunitsugu, by the way.  i would like to see your nakago.

Banzan, all three of my iaito & my shinken have a single mekugi. I've used two of the iaito for more than 25 years with no problems. I've replaced the mekugi twice in the shinken after some extensive tameshigiri, but really saw no sign of wear. My wife & I train in Muso Jikiden Eishin-Ryu & Shinto-Ryu, so your mileage may vary, but I doubt that a second mekugi would add a lot to your safety margin, as long as you carefully check to make sure your mekugi isn't being pushed out before every session.

Yes, please do show us some more photos!

Ken

• Like 1

BANZAN,

please sign all posts with your first name and an initial, as is a rule here. 

From a technical point of view, a MEKUGI does not hold a Nakago. It just secures the three-dimensional press-fit of the NAKAGO in the TSUKA, and as Joe and Ken pointed out, a good quality TSUKA is the main thing to prevent failure. When it comes to reliabilty, the SAMURAI era was a realistic field of test, and they rarely used more than one MEKUGI-ANA.

MEKUGI have to be checked on a regular basis, and they will show wear in case the MEKUGI-ANA has sharp (not slightly rounded) corners. Understanding the mechanics of a sword is as important as the correct movements of the respective RYU. 

Dear Banzan

Congrats on the Sword! If you do decide to drill an extra hole then please note that there is the possibility of compromising the Nakago through unnecessary stress. As with the advice given, if your Tsuka fits well, technique and grip are good, one Mekugi is all you need. 

Rayhan

Two menuki seems more suitable for Chinese made swords that often don't have the same quality control (often have cracked tsuka) compared to tsuka on custom/Japanese koshirae.  If it's a good quality koshirae and your Sensei believes it's safe then leave it as is.

You also see two mekugi ana on the "Type 3" Rinji pattern Gunto.... Possibly for the same reason as you see them on the Chinese made blades, issues with quality control!

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..