Bizen-To (Nihonto No Ohja) Tokubetsu Ten

Sadly this is almost over, but someone gave me a spare ticket so I went to the Prefectural Museum to see it today. Finishes on Sunday October 15. There is a fine booklet published at only 1,300 JPY with good quality colo(u)r photographs. The main text is in Japanese but the captions are in English throughout.

Anyone in the Okayama area should try and get to see this if possible. Over four rooms, there are 84 swords on display from all over the country, among them some real stunners. Several Kokuho, etc., and some of the recent Ho-no-to project jinja swords. (Great sets of armour dotted around too.)

Ken, I am planning to go again anyway as there was no way I could absorb it all yesterday.

There was an announcement yesterday for everyone to gather in the lobby as the 10,000th guest was in the building and would be presented with a citation, a bottle of sake and one of the booklets. For the rest of us it was a free postcard... a choice of Nagamitsu or Norimune.

Today I went again, alone this time, as I wanted to see how much my brain could take before overload kicked in. Not long. Had to go for a coffee after fourteen swords in Room One, before heading back up to Room Two. Perhaps the reason Japanese swords are taking so long for me to understand is that I still want to know everything, including the makers, the owners and the historical events and contexts. All the cards are in Japanese, too, which sucks up a lot of energy. After Room Two, I finally gave up at 1600 AD and headed home for lunch. Edo Period is in Room Three, and the modern period in Room Four, maybe for tomorrow or Sunday. Ken, your smith Ando the younger has a sword and a placard in there, as his father who is described as the leading smith in Okayama, and other modern or semi-modern smiths from Bizen, Bitchu, and Bingo.

My memories from today consisted of several key swords, some from private collections. One was the Ichimonji Uesugi-tachi "Hyogo-gusari Tachi" from the Tokyo National Museum, which I reckon needs to be seen alongside the Sanchomo. Both are bright flamboyant blades, giving me a sense of what kind of blade Uesugi Kenshin enjoyed owning. Another was a Gassaku work by Sukesada Hikobei and Yosozaemon, father and son, the only joint work of theirs known to exist. There was a giant Nambokucho Iesuke battle sword once owned by Ikeda Tsuneoki (private collection)and may have been taken from him when he was killed in battle. A 15th century Yasumitsu tachi was owned (secretly?) by Horibe Yasubei, one of the 47 Ronin from Ako.

I was also fascinated to see the gradual influence of Soshu on Bizen, brought in by Kanemitsu, Chogi, etc.

The more I see, the more I see how much I need to learn! Better stop here.

• Like 2

Went to the local NBTHK meeting last night and told them frankly how much I had enjoyed the Prefectural Museum's exhibition.

One member agreed with me, but then the Sensei asked, "haven't you been to Osafune Token no Sato? (Token Hakubutsukan, sword museum). There is an equally good exhibition, running till 15 November. They are showing a nice Unsho blade at the Prefectural Museum, sure, but there's an even better one in the Osafune exhibition."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..