Its About Time

something works out.

After buying each item piecemeal (except sword in saya n seppa)  they came together quite well i think. Not going with black same* now but staying with the dark green ito. Nice to eyeball items and have them fit as planned.

post-19-0-85346900-1507674181_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-33833400-1507674237_thumb.jpgpost-19-0-29308800-1507674432_thumb.png

to be added to saya

post-19-0-99481400-1507674586_thumb.jpg 

post-19-0-43849800-1507674291_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-25571400-1507674388_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Stephen,

speaking with total prejudice of my own likes in things but I am really a great lover of black same either under green Ito or buckskin wrap. In fact every koshirae I have had done has ended up using black same. I just think new white same always looks somehow artificial. It needs 50 or 60 years of age to make it mellow. Black just looks good.

post-15-0-50487100-1507730649_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thank You Paul, i value your input, its still  strong in the running.

it has a nice color to it as its old same,

post-19-0-99814900-1507731730_thumb.jpg

for new bright same i paint it with tea or weak coffee to get a nice age to it, slowly not all at once.

im a half a day into fitting to nakago, when started if would not even go half way, about .75" to go.

the ridge line is a bear, as you can see from the seppa it being in center and quite high 

post-19-0-20715800-1507732073_thumb.jpg

after fitting, a copper sekigane for the play in the tsuba.

Well a day after the nakago not going on even half way, we have contact!

New peg hole located and the fit is so snug the tsuba has no movement. So the question is, what would the need be for adding sekigane? I mean its not going to be waved all around the place when done. ;)

post-19-0-13707700-1507826136_thumb.jpg

Out in the mail for its dark green dress, no lipstick! 

Giving a newbie a go, not for him but to us old guys, see how he does.

Saya going out soon to John T for kurikata add.

I know we have discussed how to's on this subject, any new consensus on storing a bare blade, i kept one in plastic wrap onec and didnt check each week, small rust spots developed  here and there.

so im thinking well oiled in parchment paper or newspaper as it would be able to breath.

Your take?

Stephen there is a good paper that inhibits rust and should cause no metal discolouration, as there is no nickel. Otherwise a good non-waxed butchers paper with a desiccant added like silica jel packs. John

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shop-accessories-supplies/gun-storage-materials/gun-wrap-paper/gunwrap-trade-paper-prod1197.aspx

Well a day after the nakago not going on even half way, we have contact!

New peg hole located and the fit is so snug the tsuba has no movement. So the question is, what would the need be for adding sekigane? I mean its not going to be waved all around the place when done. ;)

attachicon.giftsukafit.jpg

Out in the mail for its dark green dress, no lipstick! 

Giving a newbie a go, not for him but to us old guys, see how he does.

Saya going out soon to John T for kurikata add.

I know we have discussed how to's on this subject, any new consensus on storing a bare blade, i kept one in plastic wrap onec and didnt check each week, small rust spots developed  here and there.

so im thinking well oiled in parchment paper or newspaper as it would be able to breath.

Your take?

Looks good, that ray can be repaired fairly easily.
  • Like 1

Dear Stephen.

She's looking good!

So the question is, what would the need be for adding sekigane?

A little compression of the wood around the mekugi ana, tiny bit of wear on the mekugi itself....?  Very slight changes will see the tsuba moving and you won't be happy with it.

If the tsuba needs sekigane go for it.

Looking forward to seeing this one when completed.

All the best.

• Like 1

Geraint

Yes over time the wood of the tsuka may compress (that's where its snug enough to stop movement) on the nakago, once together it won't be coming off other than shinsa for the blade. 

David

Looks good, that ray can be repaired fairly easily. 

Tig or arc?

Geraint

Yes over time the wood of the tsuka may compress (that's where its snug enough to stop movement) on the nakago, once together it won't be coming off other than shinsa for the blade. 

David

Tig or arc?

Tig of course, but don't though just kidding about that. The ray skin can be repaired nicely.

• 4 weeks later...

Well their back John T did a fast turnaround time on the Kurikata, and a bang up job as usual,  Salvatore M turnaround time was quick on the wrap also. I havent talked to Sal yet on my concerns, you might be able to tell from photos,

Please give him constructive feedback as that's how one learns. crazy what light will do, when under where daisho sits, the ito looks is blue to the eye,(mine) natural light gives me the dark green i was going for.

pre wrap

post-19-0-52535900-1510605283_thumb.jpg

few other, one where the fuchi should have been.  In defence he received just the tsuka and not  sword n seppa tsuba.. 

post-19-0-75941200-1510605471_thumb.jpgpost-19-0-76425500-1510605499_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-42144000-1510605935_thumb.jpgpost-19-0-02316000-1510605976_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..