Corroded Nakago - Stay Away Or O.k. ?

ken kata

Hey guys,

I was looking around, and, could not fine anything about Corroded Nakagos..

What's the general census ? 

1)    How does a corroded Nakago  , with a decent blade "Rate"..?

2)    Do you just disregard that Sword / Blade, or,

if it comes with some kind of authentication , then, it is O.K. ?

3)   Is it still "acceptable"  with  any authentication?

4)   Is it a shame to own a blade in this condition?

5)   Is  a Blade like this not worth anything anymore to most collectors?

Opinions are welcome.. :)

No "Save more money and look at better blades" replies. :bang:

Yes, that's always true, but, this is post is to "see" what different people say about the topic. :)

and, Yes, there is some of us , that only will spend up to a certain amount for a Blade.

So, no criticism , just what you feel about these corroded Nakago blades and their future.

Thanks for you time

Alton Takata

post-2090-0-52262100-1507655419_thumb.jpg

post-2090-0-30575000-1507655892_thumb.jpg

Depends on how corroded. My Kashu Nagatsugu had a decent nakago, still legible mei and taurine, but you could see where corrosion was stabilized!

If it is thin and feels and looks as if the nakago could snap like a Kit-Kat, I'd have some doubts!

• Like 1

Not knowing Osafune Yoshimitsu,

I google searched and came up with Markus' article on a related sword.

Also this Christies sale:

A Bizen School Katana
SIGNED BISHU OSAFUNE YOSHIMITSU AND
estimate
$12,000 - $18,000

price realized
$36,000

Kinda surprised by that.

• Like 1

A katana is a whole. Nakago is as important as the blade itself, so forget it. Nakago shows the skill of the smith, yasurime are very important. This blade won’t go further than Hozon, because you will find hundreds of blades forged at the same time with splendid nakago. Unless a huge discount, I won’t buy it. BTW, on the photo, there is one mekugi ana, on the kanteisho, there are two....

• Like 3

Thank you guys..

I kinda get what you guys are saying..

These are the best "Rule of Thumbs" (advice) :

Jean pointed out,

1)  A katana is a whole. Nakago is as important as the blade itself, so forget it. Nakago shows the skill of the smith, yasurime are very important.

Ken pointed out :

2)  It depends on the amount of damage,  along with the provenance of the blade, pretty much as the others have said. No hard & fast rule.

Mr. Hudson pointed out -  :

3)  Depends on how corroded. My Kashu Nagatsugu had a decent nakago, still legible mei and taurine. If it is thin and feels and looks as if the nakago could snap .....

Barry Hennick said :

4)  If the nakago is bad I will not buy the blade. With very rare exceptions for koto blades by a rare smith who did excellent work.

Nihonto Collector says :

5)   It would defiantly be a shame (for him, and, maybe for some people's Collection )  Understandable..

or, if you are a newbie...

Alton Takata says: " If you are a Dagashi Samurai, and love the blade and it's lowed price, and, keeping the Blade in Koshirae, to then, it is O.K. ;-)  "

At the lower end (up to $3000) , I can see people buying these, because that is not an "arm and a leg", but, for the higher price range, and the more "connoisseur" buyer,

the advice given is well advised.  :)

Jean, about the two Mekugi pin holes, those are two different blades. One has many guys interested and bidding . Hovering below 3000.00

I was wondering why so many guys are bidding, but, then, it is under 3000. so, maybe that is why..

I am looking to buy a Tachi style katana blade. Preferably  Koto... Deep Sori.. Bohi is preferable. In Koshirae.. Papered is a plus.. :)

around 3000.00  ( I can hear all the people telling me "Good Luck in your endeavor"  LOL :laughing:  )

Thank You guys..

Alton Takata 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..