Would Appreciate Id Help W/ Wwii Japanese Short Sword.

CBurns

Hello:

I'm assisting my client with the liquidation of his uncle's estate.  The uncle was a US marine who served during WWII.  We found this Japanese (officer's) sword and would like to know more about it.  I couldn't find anything exactly like it on the website.

Thank you for your help.

post-4252-0-95870500-1507402073_thumb.jpg

post-4252-0-33517300-1507402092_thumb.jpg

post-4252-0-27568100-1507402108_thumb.jpg

Hi Cyn.

Please add your name to your posts as we all do here.  The sword is not a Japanese officer's sword, it is similar to the unusual Naval shore patrol mounts but I can't see the fouled anchor on the lower end of the scabbard or the pommel.   I can see what looks like a raised emblem on the side of the pommel, like a flower?  That might be the key to this one, can we have a shot of that?  

I am guessing the length measured from tip to the blade ferrule, (habaki), is less than 24 inches which makes this a wakizashi.  The mounts seem to be from a period before WWII and the blade is probably an older, traditionally made blade.

Please don't hold the blade with your fingers, it is already suffering some condition issues and your fingerprint rust won't help, give it a wipe with some light oil.

Looking forward to tracking this one down.

All the best

• Like 2

This is a standard police short sword. The badge on the back-strap is their emblem. The plating from scabbard is all gone which is usual. Almost always pretty poor machine made blades. They are featured with examples in the F&G and Dawson, so someone else can read it and write it all up as I'm busy right this minute.

They are scarce, but not terribly desirable. A bit like poor Type 32. There's plenty of replated examples or repainted. One with a traditional wakizashi blade adapted (the machine ones are retained by a screw in nakago tip) are higher quality and rather desirable.

P.s. in the second photo you have the throat of the saya still attached around the habaki by the retention clip. I hope you didn't force it from the scabbard unknowingly and tear off the throat...

• Like 1

This is a standard police short sword. The badge on the back-strap is their emblem. The plating from scabbard is all gone which is usual. Almost always pretty poor machine made blades. They are featured with examples in the F&G and Dawson, so someone else can read it and write it all up as I'm busy right this minute.

They are scarce, but not terribly desirable. A bit like poor Type 32. There's plenty of replated examples or repainted. One with a traditional wakizashi blade adapted (the machine ones are retained by a screw in nakago tip) are higher quality and rather desirable.

P.s. in the second photo you have the throat of the saya still attached around the habaki by the retention clip. I hope you didn't force it from the scabbard unknowingly and tear off the throat...

I didn't handle the sword out of respect.  This fellow was too upset about the loss of his family member, I'm surprised that he managed not to drop it.  I had to tell him that he was trying to return the sword into the scabbard upside down.  Thanks so much for the information.

I didn't handle the sword out of respect.  This fellow was too upset about the loss of his family member, I'm surprised that he managed not to drop it.  I had to tell him that he was trying to return the sword into the scabbard upside down.  Thanks so much for the information.

You're very welcome :) Once someone sees this they'll look it up and get you more info from the book. I am just in the middle of things today. Cheers

Cyn,

Agree with Steve, a police sword. Could use a picture of the backstrap of the handgrip showing the circular emblem. I'm on the road this weekend, and won't be able to get at my reference books until Wednesday, so maybe someone else can confirm it's type. All kinds of swords were used throughout the war, including ones that were made well before. Some troops picked up swords like this during the post-war occupation.

Cyn,

Agree with Steve, a police sword. Could use a picture of the backstrap of the handgrip showing the circular emblem. I'm on the road this weekend, and won't be able to get at my reference books until Wednesday, so maybe someone else can confirm it's type. All kinds of swords were used throughout the war, including ones that were made well before. Some troops picked up swords like this during the post-war occupation.

Thank you Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cyn, I don't know if I would attempt to clean the blade, even machine made. I would certainly try and stabilise any red/brown rust with the cotton rag and oil. But there is always the temptation to go a bit further, and some times to the detriment of the blade. Most collectors don't mind the "been there" look but won't be interested in an amateur attempt to "polish" a blade.

Your call of course, but there is no harm in waiting a while, studying carefully what you have, and then with the knowledge gained, make an informed decision. Neil.    

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..