What Do You Guys Consider Hq Fittings For Gunto

Well Andrew.

No one else has bitten so let me.  I think original quality and the degree of preservation come into play.  You could look at the one Stephen posted in the adjacent thread.  Or if we take this one, http://nihonto.dilanhosting.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/fss-741-mounts-full-Large-full-resolution.jpg as a starting point the condition is pretty good with much original finish remaining on the fittings, the wrap is nice and tight and the same looks good underneath the tassel.  The sarute is crossed hands pattern and not the plain loop of wire or even cord that is seen.  I would like to have a nice thick pierced tsuba and the full set of eight seppa with the milled edge one nice and thick, all matching numbers of course.  Silver mon on the menuki would be a plus, more so for me than one on the kabutugane.

I would go for a wood saya covered in lacquered same, preferably with two hangers.  I'd also like the tsuka to have a really nice tachi like curve to it.  The release catch needs to have the nice blossom finish.

After that then it's down to the quality of manufacture of the fittings, I have seen some that were pretty thin and some that were very detailed in their modelling.  Of course an original red/gold tassel would be nice............

Yep!  That about does it for me!

All the best.

• Like 1

High class Gunto fittings?
I guess this.
Friend had the sword years ago...he wasn't interested in the fittings, so I bought them. Have the whole koshirae, but this is the only pic I have on this pc for now.
This must have cost a bunch. Shark I think, not ray.
The sword was signed Hisamori, had a perfectly shaped kissaki....with double hi...and a hamon that ran straight off the kissaki :doubt:

DSC00004.JPG

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..