Question About A Daito

hxv

Greetings,

I would like to get your opinion about a daito I own. My assessment is that it's sue Koto and looks Mino. Unfortunately, the boshi is very, very thin, almost running off the edge. I hope I am wrong, but don't think so. 

The fuchi/kashira seems to be nice and well made, but this is not an area of my study. The tsuba looks to be shoami, but has prominent tekkotsu all over the rim. It's very pleasing to touch the tsuba around the rim because of the tekkotsu.

All opinions regarding f/k, tsuba, and blade are welcomed and appreciated.

Many thanks

post-1945-0-99290000-1507265673_thumb.jpg

post-1945-0-03086100-1507265693_thumb.jpg

post-1945-0-81331300-1507265711_thumb.jpg

post-1945-0-54840700-1507265726_thumb.jpg

post-1945-0-31591100-1507265746_thumb.jpg

post-1945-0-16586100-1507265763_thumb.jpg

post-1945-0-35856400-1507265780_thumb.jpg

post-1945-0-96468800-1507265792_thumb.jpg

post-1945-0-81500100-1507265810_thumb.jpg

I always find it a problem trying to decide on an attribution as you enter the Nambokucho period and later. As other schools became increasingly influenced by Soshu work the differences between schools and traditions seemed to blur. As a result there is a whole raft of designations such as sue-seki, Soden Bizen and  Sue-Tegai which show many of the same characterisitics and activity.

The shape of your sword puts it in this timefrme so Nabokucho or a little later, or possibly later copy trying to emulate that period. I think the hada and activity in the hamon point to it being later 14th rather than 19th century. The Sue-Seki/Mino call is understandable and I think reasonable but there were many rural schools also producing similar work so it might be worth exploring some of those. I agree with you that the boshi appears to run off, which is unfortunate and doesn't help the attempt at attribution too much.

I like the shape and hada also the sunagashi running within the hamon looks tight and good quality.

• Like 1

Thank you Paul, Alex, and Carlos. I am afraid you are all correct.  The boshi is only a fraction of a millimeter from the edge. 

Paul: If I look beyond Mino, what are some possibilities that you have in mind? I would appreciate any further assessment.

Many thanks,

Hoanh

Hello,

Thoughts for what little they're worth, 

1. Not convinced this sword could be any older than the muromachi period, if that.

2. Boshi, certainly looks to be cutting it awfully close to the edge, although the turn back appears to widen. I would extend these thoughts to the entire cutting edge having been raised, too. The hamachi is certainly shallow supporting this idea. A broken tip, previous chips along the edge, a frequent problem seen with many swords would explain these things.

3. Fittings, yes, look to be of good quality. 

• Like 1

Franco: My initial thought on this sword was late Muromachi, but the shape had me convinced late 14th century - straddling late Nanbokucho & early Muromachi. I suspected that it had o kissaki, broken at some point, and was repaired, hence the thin boshi. This is all suppositions, though. Do you mind expanding your thought process on why you think this sword could not be older than Muromachi? Any guess on school? This is how I can learn from others. Thank you in advance. 

Steve: Thank you for info on the fuchi. I'll look it up.

Ken: Yes, the tsuka and tsukamaki are spanking new.  In fact, I am not sure if the tsukamaki is done correctly. Plus, the tsuka wrap looks synthetic, not real same. This is how it came to me, but still, I am too ashamed to show pictures of the tsuka.

Hoanh

Hoah,

Do not see a nambokucho curvature-shape, more of a muromachi type, perhaps, even a shinshinto copy. Cannot say more or conclusively without seeing details in hand. 

Shapes become clearer when known swords are set down side by side from different periods. Leaving you to wonder how is it that you couldn't see the obvious but subtle differences before.

• Like 1

Personally I think the nakago looks newer than nambokucho. Also I think the Harmon itself runs close to the edge in a bunch of places and hadori is covering it.

Pictures are deceiving though and I could be completely off. In the fourth picture down from the top there appears to be a gap where the noiguchi runs off the blade.

Again I could be wrong. Pictures are tough. A seasoned collector in your area might be your best bet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..