Hope For More Detailed Information

sabiji

Thank you Jean. The Tsuba is part of a katana mount dating from an old collection.
With "not handmade" do you mean she was not forged? I always thought she was older and the nunome was added later.
I had the sword with mount over 14 years ago at an NBTHK-EB meeting, and Mr. Hagenbusch showed it to some Tsuba experts, but I can not remember ...

I have never seen a similar Tsuba.

I think this is an old (not new), hand made tsuba and the gold inlay was done when the tsuba was made.  The work puts me in mind of Higo Rakuju but I don't think the quality is that high; maybe a superficial resemblance.  This appears to be signed but now too faint for me to make anything out.

And I am not an authority so I could be 100% wrong.  Grey

Thomas,

if you recall how a TSUBA is made, and then look at the rim (two last photos), it is difficult to explain the little protrusions. They are not TEKKOTSU in my opinion. The 4th photo shows an indentation on the right side, which cannot be explained by the forging process nor by later file work.

On the photos, the surface looks plain black, but I cannot see if this is indeed patina or paint.

These are just my observations from the photos. To be sure, you should perhaps show the TSUBA to Ford Hallam.

Hi,

I have a couple of iron tsuba in my collection which I reckon are cast rather than forged iron.  They seem to have similar characteristics to your example; namely rounded features, about 6 -6.5 cm diameter, an irregular finish around the seppa dai and are rather thick (0.5 cm), which I imagine made them easier to cast.  Though it is difficult to make judgements from photos I think that the common features indicate cast iron.

Having said that they are cast rather than forged, I’m not saying that they are (Chinese) fakes, or even modern.  I think that they are cheap tsuba made for poor samurai, or more likely for farmers or merchants as they seem to be of wakizashi size.  Having cast the tsuba I imagine that they would then be finished by hand with engraving or nunome (your example).

Not quite the best tsuba in my collection, but interesting nonetheless.

Example 1: Height: 6.3 cm, Width: 6.0 cm,Thickness: 0.5 cm (seppa dai), 0.6 cm (rim)

Example 2 (ginger leaves): Height: 6.8 cm, Width: 6.7 cm, Thickness: 0.5 cm

Best regards, John (just a guy making observations, asking questions and trying to learn)

post-941-0-12579300-1507390874_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-80186800-1507390895_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-02095800-1507390910_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-44646900-1507390964_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-85998700-1507390981_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-97268200-1507391004_thumb.jpg

IMHO all three tsuba shown above are legitimate - not cast.  I believe the confusion is coming from their having been rusted and re-patinated or colored in some way (which could explain the pitting on the mimis).  There also looks to be some type of coating on the one to the right directly above.  I seem to see what could be some fire scale on the one to the left but not certain on that.  Judging from pictures is difficult at best but don't assume something is cast simply because it doesn't look like some perfect specimen with papers.  It takes a long time to learn and best done with items in hand with direct cross comparisons to known legitimate items.  This is where shows/meetings can really help.

Hi Pete,

I’ve attached some more pics of one of my tsuba in order to add weight to my claim that it is cast rather than forged.  Actually, the conclusion that it is cast was not originally mine.  I posted this tsuba on the website some time ago asking for more info, thinking that the line around the rim was evidence of folding and the flaky surface due to high temperature forging.  I was surprised that the opinion was that it was cast, but having looked closely, I’m sure that this is the case.  I would not have thought that it was financially worthwhile to produce cast iron tsuba. But take a rough cast iron tsuba, finish with a file and chisel, or add a bit of nunome as bling and I suppose you can satisfy the cheap end of the market. So, my case for my tsuba being cast is:

Pic 1 #134 The air holes and the tiny raised spots in the surface indicate casting rather than hammer work to me.  The seppa dai is rougher than I would normally see, even on an old tosho or sukashi tsuba.

Pics 2 & 3 #125, 126. The line running parallel to three rims is due to the join between the two halves of the mould.  I originally thought that this was due to folding and incomplete welding of the plate.

Pic 4 #123.  The fourth rim show casting air holes

Pics 5 &6 #130,131.  These clearly show a line of protruding iron along the centre of the piercings.  I believe this to be due molten iron seeping out of the joins between the two halves of the mould.  This is also visible on my other tsuba (the one with ginger leafs posted earlier).

My case rests

Best regards, John (just a guy making observations, asking questions and trying to learn)

post-941-0-07302900-1507573210_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-87637400-1507573224_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-22352800-1507573237_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-98127700-1507573248_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-82929200-1507573262_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-15569400-1507573276_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..