Novice Tsuka D I Y Question

I’m not too fond of black same, but that’s just my personal taste.

I recently had daishō-tsuka re-wrapped and the rotten same replaced with very high quality same with big oyatsubo, the same alone set me back about US $ 600.-, and it isn’t as nice as the one of your tsuka. Having it convincingly antiqued added another $ 150.-. I therefore think it would be a waste to cover your naturally aged same with black lacquer.

Again, just a matter of taste. If you indeed feel the irresistible urge to put black lacquer on it, I recommend Cashew.

post-12-0-95009400-1506353592_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Stephen,

Sorry to pile on but, perhaps you would be better off reserving your tsuka for something special. Is is of a quality that would have been owned by someone of importance. The fittings that came with it tell the story.....quiet, elegant, formal mounting worthy of an important blade. I like your idea of the lacquered same and copper fittings,green wrapping, etc....just not with THIS tsuka.

-StevenK

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..