Omg Australian Fuc#### Customs Strike Again

well guys, Australian customs have really pissed me off.

got another dress sword from Japan, landed in melbourne and was returned because they dont allow replica swords.

i have bought approx 20 dress sword over the years, and have had many bullshit run inns with these customs. (clowns) but this ones the best so far. rejected a none sharp, none lethal dress sword for what reason??? its to shiny??

getting it resent with the word ANTIQUE and it will sail through hahhahahha

need to let off steam, but seriously swords are slowly being made so difficult in Australia. almost not worth the bother sometimes

I watch "Border Security" and sometimes wonder how Oz even allows Australians back into the country.
Sorry, but it is pathetic to watch some countries remove basic freedoms one at a time until there is nothing left to enjoy.
I sympathize with you and feel sorry that you have to jump through hoops just to own a pointy thing. Couldn't live in a country like that.

• Like 6

Hi Brian,  {Couldn't live in a country like that} Give it time :) our world is going nuts! what you see in the shows is just a taste of whats happening :( it seems oz has lost its way  and for some of us that remember when there was some sanity its hard to accept :(

• Like 2

I'm getting so sick and tired of the way the whole of Australia is going, all most every Australian know what I'm talking about.

highest costs in everything, no freedoms, cant collect antique swords or even black powder guns because they could hurt someone's feelings, ruin a entire states economy for no real reason why apart from political points.

I'm very very close to moving to a more accepting country. 

• Like 2

some where....

comparable cost of living VS income

socially accepting to others

not to batshit crazy on the bible

plenty of fishing

and some where with sword groups that have meetings once a month. 

so Canada, 1st pick

Japan, but cant speak it very well or not at all 2nd pick, and they distrust outsiders 

New Zealand, because they are very relaxed and laid back. 3rd pick

open to offers, 

PS some were with no foxs, just had 3 prize roosters taken 2 nights ago

Hi 

got plenty of room for more nihonto folks. 

No monthly meetings though , never mind sword shows .

If you have foreign currency pretty much all of them better the NZD , but petrol and food is pricey .

Depending on where you want to live , house prices are getting out of control. 

No hand guns without special permit but swords are allowed on all levels just takes a while through our customs / postal system.

The last one 2 weeks for in country to in my hand.

Not two many crazies.

Chris NZ

Sorry guys but had to respond

Only Australians who haven't travelled extensively overseas would want to leave this wonderful country-Australia. High costs- we're a long way from everything, no freedoms! have you not been watching what is going on in the world!, strong boarder security- thank God for this control of pests (insect, produce and human) arriving in the county. I have travelled to many countries in the world and I there is no doubt that "we are the lucky country".

On a side note, I have never had any problems with customs getting swords in from Japan or the USA as long as the description and necessary information is attached to the package.

Regards

John C,  proud Australian

• Like 2

I haven't had any issues import swords either and I live in the state with the strictest laws re: sword ownership, Victoria. Ironically though, I have had issues shipping to the United States via Aus Post and have had to use DHL instead.

I feel your pain as customs can be hit or miss though I've never had major issues like a sword being returned that was sent to me. Hopefully just a once off !

edit

its moving off topic.

PS have travelled a lot, and lived in every state of the is country. we could learn a thing or 2 from some other societies.

compare Shinjuku station in peak hour ( 1 million a day I think I was told) to walking through any capital city train station (fuc##### hopless, no ones is polite they just push there way through with no regard.

I visited Australia once.

Border people, taking all my stuff apart (just clothes and computer), they brought in the food / wildlife expert for some reason. I suppose their job is intended well, to protect the unique ecosystem in Australia.

My stuff got torn through again.

She found something that bothered her, held it up and asked me, "Is this food?"

Because I guess you can't bring food in.

The thing she held up was a bottle of Tylenol. I didn't know if this was an intelligence test or a trick question or what. My answer was, "Well, you eat them, so technically it's food?"

She came close to protecting Australia from my bottle of Tylenol but in the end, gave me grudging acceptance to bring my food into the country.

I never went back.

So, good luck with your swords.

• Like 4

Funnily enough swords are probably the thing I've had the least problem bringing in (apart from the inevitable customs/GST dues) - probably because I get the sender to mark the full value on the shipping material, and they don't want to be the ones getting docked if it gets damaged! On the other hand, here are some things that have somehow triggered red flags at customs:

• A large pack of handkerchiefs. These were opened, unwrapped and rewrapped individually, and a "Customs was here" leaflet inserted. My sister's theory is that they suspected the fabric might have been impregnated with drugs of some kind...
  • Two sword books from Japan. Maybe they were expecting naughty manga and were disappointed to see oshigata :laughing:
  • An MP3 player (back when your phone couldn't do that for you)
  • A box of Harry Potter novels for a young cousin (seriously, why so suspicious of books...)
  • A very short, very heavy faux-shinai for indoor suburi. This one I sort of understand, given that it looks like bamboo.

However they have (thankfully) heavily relaxed the rules for food in your luggage - our tiny, understaffed airports simply couldn't cope with 4 in 5 travelers going through the "Declare" line because of a bag of chocolates or a sandwich from the plane.

Come to Texas.... When I import a sword the customs office sends it to me with a note asking why i didn't get more and Wazimono rated?  We have no state income tax.. property tax may as well be free (im from ny where the taxes are more than some people elsewhere make per year). We have open carry, class 3 ownership (full auto and suppressed) and extremely low home/land cost.  Oh, and jobs.. jobs everywhere. Need more? Well ok, steak comes from here.. You can get fillet Mignon for as low as $12/lb.

Kurt K

• Like 2

Yes..but you have hot. Lots of it.

I want cold. All of the above....plus cold! :)

Same here Brian. I'm well adapted to the heat, but prefer 4 seasons.

Texas > Florida for property taxes

Texas > Florida for food [ex. Miami]

Texas < Florida* for driving.

--Man you have some psychos. But we've got the old midwesterners driving slow in the left hand lane with the left turn blinker on for the last 3 miles.

Texas  < Beaches and fishing.

Whether I'd rather be in Florida or Texas sort of depends on the day, but I think I'd pick Texas at the moment.

But ultimately think I want 4 seasons. If Bariloche or Mendoza were more accessible [and not in Argentina], I'd live there.

it gets better guys, the sword was returned for a second time.

I called customs, in VIC, NSW AND SA and they make it very hard to find the right guy (they only transfur you to about 6 other extensions before you get the correct place)

customs are stating the Australia Post rejected it, not them. they have no issue with it now. the seller informed me that's customs???

so stuck between two groups who blame each other!!!!!! NICE

• 2 weeks later...

no thats the funny part, there only dress swords.

type 19 kyu gunto dress swords!!! I have bought heaps tho ebay  with no issues at all. not sure whats changed??

Having all sorts of issues from EMS, FEDEX, SAL  and Japanese CUSTOMS.

Evan the Japanese dealers are surprised by the difficulties faced. dress swords were easy, cheap and common.

even trying to get a type 19 Kyu gunto flag sword posted over is hard,  ands its not evan sword shaped???.

well I have bought about 15 or more from Japan, over a 10 year period.

and only now have ran into issues. its really abit of a joke as they arn't even sharp. basically a Iai blade really.

well sounds like its time to give up dress swords from Japan now too.

at this stage I'm about to just go fishing and camping, instead of collecting. mmmmmuuuch easer

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..