Fs: Tanto And Katana Koshirae, And An Amida Tsuba

bigjohnshea

Hello All,

Hope you are doing well.

I do not collect koshirae, and infact do not even like to keep my swords in koshirae, so I have some koshirae and a tsuba available for sale. If you want to make an offer, please do not hesitate. My prices are entirely based on what I paid, or what I see similar things selling for on ebay. I’m pretty flexible. Will ship to the US for free. Shipping is additional if sending international. Payment by Paypal only, via “Friends and Family”.

Photos and items to come in the comments below. I'll let you know when I'm done posting. Please hold any comments until then. 

Thanks for looking!

John A. Shea, MD

Amida Tsuba

That’s all I know about this. No idea of age. No signature. It’s heavy, and it looks better in person than it does in the photos. I bought it here some time ago. Can’t remember how much for, andhad big intentions of building a koshirae around it for my one sword that actually has a koshirae. Never got around to that. Anyhow, I know it was atleast 100$ so that’s my asking price. J

post-2184-0-34335600-1506030002_thumb.png

Tanto Koshirae

I bought this from an “antiquities dealer” in Japan. I put that in quotes because he claimed it was an antique koshirae for a tanto, but when I got it, it clearly did not have a menuki hole in it so I suspect this was recently manufactured. Maybe a few decades old at best, but it clearly has never been used as actual fittings for a sword. It’s a nice little design though, and if you have a tanto small enough to fit in it, and have the tools to make it work, you can have a nice package out of it.  I paid 300$ plus shipping for it and would be thrilled if I got that back, but that was under the assumption it was antique... I’ll take what I can get for it as long as I don’t feel like I’m being beat up too much. J Make an offer if you like. 

post-2184-0-83593500-1506030241_thumb.png

post-2184-0-33863900-1506030275_thumb.png

post-2184-0-18958400-1506030306_thumb.png

Katana Koshirae

This katana koshirae came with an Oei era tachi I bought recently. It’s really not something I like, and it does not fit the tachi as it should; neither in it’s nature as a katana koshirae (not a tachi koshirae) nor does it physically fit the blade very well. Very loose. The placement of the menuki hole is keeping the fittings from being tight around the area of the fuchi. The tsuba wiggles when the nakago is in the tsuka. Anyhow, I know nothing about what the features of this koshirae are. The fuchi and kashira look attractive, some flowers, a little bit of gold (no idea if real gold) features that are worn off in parts. Wrap is tight. Menuki are attractive, look like bundles of flowers maybe. Not sure what they are. The tsuba is not very heavy. Looks to be in decent condition. No signature. No idea of age or school or style. Looks like it has a clover on it. The saya is solid. No split in it. The kojiri feels like it basically just lacquered wood like the rest of the saya. Saya is in good shape overall. I’ve seen katana koshirae like this sell for 700-1000$ before and I’ll be happy if I get the low end of that, but I’m not rigid on it. Happy to hear offers. 

post-2184-0-21654000-1506030712_thumb.png

post-2184-0-76321000-1506030769_thumb.png

post-2184-0-20902800-1506030871_thumb.png

Update:

Apparently a friend here on NMB thinks my "tanto" koshirae advertised above is more likely to be a koshirae for a tosu instead. He also indicated it could be older than I think. I'd take his word for it, he's much more experienced at this than I am. I only study blades...

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..