Bird Head Tachi Stolen From Door Step

TheGermanBastard

Unfortunately I have to report this Bird Head Tachi stolen.

The seller shipped it without signature confirmation. It was delivered to BERKELEY, CA 94708 and probably placed next to the mailbox where it supposedly got stolen on September the 18th.

I susspect someone passing by has stolen the parcel.

Hence the sword may show up for sale somewhere.

If you see it please let me know.

Thank you!

post-2470-0-62458800-1506015763_thumb.jpg

post-2470-0-04666300-1506015765_thumb.jpg

post-2470-0-19075400-1506015767_thumb.jpg

post-2470-0-21893400-1506015769_thumb.jpg

post-2470-0-79408100-1506015770_thumb.jpg

post-2470-0-34289100-1506015772_thumb.jpg

post-2470-0-87058800-1506015774_thumb.jpg

post-2470-0-21965100-1506015777_thumb.jpg

I also hope all turns out well but this brings up something that has bugged me for quite some time.  Fedex and UPS, unless you request and pay for a signature confirmation, will drop a package at the door and they won't even trouble themselves to ring the doorbell to let the people know a delivery has been made.  It is so incredibly STUPID!  They save half a second per delivery and packages get stolen because of it.  I don't have this problem with the Post Office, maybe because I'm such a good customer in a fairly small city, but for whatever reason the PO rings my bell.

If you're mailing something valuable with UPS or Fedex, be sure to get signature upon delivery.

Grey

• Like 2

Luis its tricky he has to file claim with post office! and that very seldom works...i say he is to blame!

You could call Berkeley police and ask for help, but fear they will pass it back to PO

It could be told to them its very dangerous in the wrong hands...not sure what that would help

I am sorry to hear this and wish you good luck in getting your sword back. Not sure if you are able to file a claim with your own insurance company (as this sounds like a theft from your home) but here is a link for dragon's head tachi koshirae that may help establish value.

https://www.aoijapan.net/tachi-koshirae-dragon-head/

Also

http://www.ricecracker.com/japanese_swords/past_swords/s2/s2-1_birdshead.htm

• Like 1

Hello Ray, thanks for the links. This blade looked like a late Shinshinto to Meiji periode setup and I roughly valued it at around USD 4000 - 5000 give it looked to be in pretty good condition. However stole it, hit it big time. It is a shame that there is both such a bunch of dishonest people and lazy postal services employee who are unwilling to take some stairs to the door.

Hello Franco, thanks for your advice. I'm afraid there isn't any video footage. It was sent to a good neighbourhood ... one that is probably worthy of lifting other peoples package.

So my hard earbed advice to all of you is to mae sure there is atleast signature confirmation when you ship somnething.

Dear Luis, really sorry that this happened to you.  Hope you get the sword back.  I'm surprised that something like this would happen in Berkley - the self-professed center of liberalism and coexistence (except for conservative mores, 1st Amendment rights and antique weapons...)

• Like 1

Will keep my eyes open, that's a pretty unique piece, and this is a small community. Let's hope for the best.

In the mean while, do file a report with your local police. They should take interest in a high value theft like that. Since the package was so large, perhaps they were caught on camera somewhere?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..