Can Anyone Shed Any Light On This Tsuba And Menuki?

general_piffle

They both belong to the same koshirae but I wondered if any of you knowledgeable folk could shed any light on them? Anything at all really. The tsuba looks like a wave pattern/design, no idea why the side holes would have been plugged up in such a way. The menuki look possibly like some kind of buddhist symbol or possibly family crest? Any insights gratefully received.

horI4an.png

1VjLBAc.png

I believe the menuki are a Japanese Mon (family crest). I suspect the tsuba hitsu-ana were plugged when the tsuba or the entire sword mounts were converted to handachi style. Just a guess. Others will give better responses.

Rich

• Like 1

Hi,

The menuki represent three Tomoe mon and can be found commonly on (Buddhist) temples all over Japan. There also a couple of families who used the Tomoe mon.

Your tsuba reminds me of Choshu, Bushu or Echizen craftsmanship; I would date it to middle until late Edo period. I agree with Rich regarding the plugging. This was a rather common practice which can be seen on many tsuba.

Best,

Chris

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..