Unusual Tsuba

peterd

Hi Peter,

I have had this tsuba for a while but never got around to researching it. It had occurred to me that the gold work was added to jazz up an older piece and that the kakihan was the goldsmith's but I wasn't sure how to look up a kakihan without having an artist's name.

I'm not sure whether the kakihan are identical but they do have a passing similarity.

post-1332-0-30046000-1505480853_thumb.jpg

Here are some better photos. I think this style is Komai. I was also hoping the kakihan was of a particular school.

Regards Peter

Not much to offer from me, but having seen a reasonable number of Komai pieces I opine NOT Komai.  This is earlier work IMHO.

BaZZa.

• Like 1

Hi Guys

I thought Komies early career was i sword fittings. A friend said it might be Komie although he had only ever seen one and that was 20 years ago.

If anyone has any photos of a Komie tsuba it would be much appreciated if just for elimination. I also agree with BaZZa and think it is quite a lot earlier.

Many thanks

Pete

A friend of mine has a number of Komai pieces and I like the work.  Another mate once turned up a card case so I did some google searching that I now attach here for those interested in Komai.  The Komai founder's early career was indeed in sword fittings.  Here is a brief biog - the source acknowledgement is in the attached document:

===============================================================================

The Komai Company is thought to have started production at the very end of the Edo period (1615-1868); the effective founder of the company, Komai Otojiro I (1842-1917), learned his metalworking skills from a maker of sword-fittings and in 1865 became head of the Komai family. Otojiro continued to make sword fittings until the abolition of sword-wearing in 1876, but even before he had started exploiting the export market, he was making ornaments for sale to foreign residents of the port of Kobe. His business prospered thanks in part to his association with the dealer Ikeda Seisuke and his work was shown at foreign exhibitions, probably starting with the Nuremberg Metalwork Exhibition of 1885. He retired in 1906 and his son Seibei (1883-1970) took the name Otojiro II, continuing to work until 1912. It is thought that larger pieces such as model pagodas started to be made during the latter period of the company's activity; one pagoda was acquired by the Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore, in 1915.

===============================================================================

On Komai sword fittings the V&A has a MAGNIFICENT Komai tachi koshirae with a Gassan Sadakazu blade.  See here:

https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O90838/sword-and-scabbard/

I also attach 2 pictures of a Komai cigarette case encountered in my wanderings through diverse collections.

Best regards,

BaZZa.

GOOGLE SEARCH RESULTS FOR KOMAI KEYWORDS.doc

post-671-0-23464900-1505613096_thumb.jpg    post-671-0-85946000-1505613147_thumb.jpg

Hi Peter

I think in this instance the Kyo designation means Kyoto and Kenjo is the style, ie; these flat plate tsuba with fine wire nunome-zogan. Often these are more elaborately patterned, like the Seiyudo example, and it is thought they were intended as presentation gifts. In fact Kenjo means 'to present'.  :)

• 3 months later...

post-1332-0-04273900-1516392992_thumb.jpgpost-1332-0-48283300-1516393011_thumb.jpg

Hi Peter,

It has been a while but I found an entry in an old book which I think is of a tsuba by the guy who made yours signed "Yamashiro Ju Fujiwara Kiyonaga with Kao" (photo attached) and the corresponding entry in Haynes. I think that might solve our respective mysteries. 

Best,

John

Hi John, thanks for making the effort to post your findings. This will give me another avenue to research.

I think this is what makes the NMB so good, people willing to make the effort to help others.

Also thank you Mauro one more thing i have learned.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..