• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Surfson

Surfson

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 844 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:34 PM

Recent ebay auction sword.  One of Shodai Tadatsuna's famous students was Sesshu Nagatsuna, who apparently was deaf and carried the name "tsunbo", meaning deaf.  I have studied this mei a bit with the examples I have and think it has a 50:50 chance to be shoshin.  I would be interested to hear what others think.  Sorry about the photo, which has a lot of foreshortening due to the angle of the shot.  Cheers, Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• Nagatsuna mei.jpg

Robert S.

#2 Lee Bray

Lee Bray

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:59 PM

I don't know Nagatsuna but Tadatsuna was known for centering his kanji on the shinogi, as does this mei, so that would be one tick from me.

#3 NihontoCollector

NihontoCollector

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:07 PM

I think it has a fair chance. Not bad for sure at what you paid ... I have seen a lot of good Tadatsuna Gimei. For his students I would expect changes to be smaller of being Gimei. Please let us know how it turns out. I would think It will paper.

Luis

#4 Surfson

Surfson

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 844 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:37 AM

That's encouraging Luis.  I am even hopeful that the mounts will turn out to be something good - can't really tell from the photos, but the handle has super large knob same, which is usually a good indicator of quality.  I'm hoping that it is in choji and worth having a polish.  He is jo-saku and 60 points in Hawley's.  Did you see it or bid on it?  I forgot to provide the link, but here it is.  Cheers, Bob

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

Robert S.

#5 NihontoCollector

NihontoCollector

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

Hello Bob, yes I did see it and consider bidding but having too many Wakizashi in my collection I did not participate. The mounts are solid iny my humble oppinion. I like the Tsuka and its Kodugu. The Tsuba is average. I agree on the same. I beleive it is an interesting blade that I woild love to hear wha it turns out like. I keep my fingers crossed it has a nice Hamon.

Luis

#6 Surfson

Surfson

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 844 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:11 PM

I will let you know as soon as I get it Luis.  If it is in the choji that he is known for, I will certainly submit it to the Chicago NTHK-NPO shinsa coming up.  Cheers, Bob

Robert S.

#7 cisco-san

cisco-san

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 760 posts
  • LocationVienna, Austria

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:33 PM

Hi Bob,

for comparison the Mei:

https://www.aoijapan...wara-nagatsuna/

Klaus Schicker