Inherited Katana Translation?

Chasers2

Hello. I am wondering if anyone could possibly translate this for my son who inherited this Katana from his Great Uncle who served in the US Navy during WW2. I believe part of the inscription reads "from Mino Province" . This sword also came with a leather handle cover with a Japanese marking inside. I will post that pic in a separate post.

Thank you so much!

post-4226-0-27109700-1505233273_thumb.jpeg

Geraint.... ugh...I am so frustrated with this format. LOL.  Sorry.  Trying to figure my way around.  I assumed by name was there???  Not sure what you mean by that. And I also thought I attached the photo properly.  I will try again, although I don't see where it says "More reply options"....  Thanks so much!  Jami

Hi Jamie.

Glad to see you are getting the hang of it and making progress with your research.  Shingunto mounts sometimes have a leather cover over the tsuka, (hilt) and often have leather combat covers over the saya, (scabbard).

This site has a wealth of information for you, http://ohmura-study.net/900.html  As to date, well there may be a date on the other side of the nakago, (tang)  but if not then you are pretty much looking at the period just before or during WWII.

Any sign of a stamped mark on the nakago?  

Enjoy this project and may both you and your son have a great time with this sword.

All the best.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..