Tokyo Arsenal Swords

Jim P

Hi Guys, I have been asked to try and get some info on Swords that were acquired from Japan during the late 1880's to early 1900's. These weapons were apparently acquired from the Japanese Tokyo Arsenal and have posted parts of his email for your thoughts

From the Historical museum, I was approached by a member of the public seeking some family history items. He has an avid interest in the arms and weaponry of the Australian military and asked if we might have any information, or examples of a batch and Swords acquired from Japan during the late 1880's to early 1900's. These weapons were apparently acquired from the Japanese Tokyo Arsenal during a period of severe budgetary restraint imposed by the effects of the great depression

I have found Parliamentary records  which prove that a sample batch of Japanese swords was ordered by the Victorian Government in 1892 and that some 65 of these were imported into Victoria early in 1893.
The Parliamentary record from Hansard dated Thursday 14 November 1901 confirms that the Victorian Government imported, as a sample, some swords from Japan and that 15 of these were allocated to the infantry and 50 to Cadet Corps officers.

What type of swords do you think would have been imported ? Thanks

Hi Jim,

1880-1890s would suggest the Type 32 Cavalry (Ko) or Foot (Otsu) patterns. These were entirely machine made and very 'Western military' style. These were also property of the emperor and so could be sold. Kyu-Gunto were private purchase by officers and a little early... just highly unlikely. You will find ample references to Type 32 with a Google search or in these forums.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Ian, :) Can you remember what page it was ? I don't have the book as its not my field of interest :( and  like Steve I thought that they would be Type 32.

Steve thanks for the added info  :thumbsup:

Ian, it's on pgs 276,277 and is not the Type 32 style (which would have been my guess too! He said they made 100 sabres for "Military Department of the City of Melbourne, Australia."

post-3487-0-30931700-1505227092_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ahhhh, blast from the past... 

Time for some trumpet blowing - the photos are mine, as are some number in that book.  I remember that sword very well.  I think the camera I had at the time was a Pentax Spotmatic, now using a Canon 18-megapixel box.  Gotta say Darcy and rkg make me feel like a Kindergarten Kid!

The joy continues, still taking photos all these years later.  I'll have some more to put up in the near future.

Bestests,

BaZZa.

• Like 6

Jim the Age newspaper of the 27th of January 1893 contains a reference to these swords the guts of which is that the Victorian Defence department purchased 50 swords from the Japanese "for use of the officers of the cadet corps ". The cost was one pound each as opposed to 3 pounds for  'those of English manufacture "

Ian Brooks

• Like 2

I;ve come in late on this, for 1892 (same year as Liverpool FC started), i would of thought the Type 25 NCO variant- as it too stared that year from memory.

I could be wrong but i think the type 32 started in 1896, so these you mention Jim would be earlier.

It actually resembles the type 8 NCO sword which was originally imported into Japan from England initially before production in Tokyo began.

My Fullers is packed away at the moment, so thanks Bruce for the quick photo here!

Ian, is Donald Barnes able to be contacted? didn't realise he was local..

Cheers

• 4 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..