Rusty spot

Martin

Hi all,

I recently discovered a tiny rusty spot on the mune of one of my swords.

What do you usually do with these tiny spots. Is it okay to just keep it covered with oil or are there maybe ways to remove the rust.

Would ivory that´s sometimes used to remove rust on tsubas be of any help here?

Any tips would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Martin

Hi,

*tiny rustspot* sound like somebody talked while holding the sword and caused one of the unpleasant spit-spot ;-)?:oops:

If it is located on the burnished part of the mune and it really bothers you, try Stephens suggestion and rubb it away with a horn spatula. If it is *fresh rust* it should be easily removed. And gentle oiling never hurts!

Greetings

Andreas B.

I think I´ll give Stephens suggestion a try.

In fact I realized the spot just a short while ago. So maybe Andreas´ spit-spot theory is correct.

By the way the surface of my newest blade shows a rainbow colored sheen after reoiling it. On other swords (in old polish) I couldn´t notice this - so does this maybe indicate a fresh, recent polish?

greetings,

Martin

Hi all,

I tried to remove the rusty spot with a piece of ivory but it didn´t seem to get smaller or change color. I therefore suppose that the rust is already older and more resistent. I will just keep that area well oiled.

Cheers,

Martin

Martin, what about to use alkaline solution in very small quantity as Caustic soda ? It's at your own risk as I've never tried with swords still

alive, but showed some effectiveness in thiny, superficial spots.

Cotton earsick, very small amount of caustic soda, little wait, careful removing and polishing of the area, oiling.

I repeat, it's at your own risk.

Cheers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..