How Do You Store Your Copper Tsuba?

Alex A

I noticed a tiny spot of Verdigris on a copper tsuba earlier, managed to sort it out ok. It may have been there when I bought it some time ago and only just noticed, not sure. I always handle soft metal tsuba with those jewellery gloves

I'm now wondering how they are stored, I keep them with the iron tsuba in a wooden drawer covered up.

Only a few of my tsuba came with wooden boxes.

Ive read online that some coin collectors use Renaissance wax, but I'm thinking that's not a good idea, not sure.

Considering putting them in plastic food containers with a few silica gel sachets, but is that going too far?, maybe just buy some wooden tsuba boxes.

Any thoughts welcome.

It could be somebody drooled on it the last time you had it out :-)

I normally store mine in traditional wood boxes, often with a chunk of pec-pad under(/above the piece If there's a pillow) if the box is of unknown origin/I think there might be a problem (kinko stuff)/for any client's pieces that are in the safe in one of my boxes.

Fortunately I live in Koshirae heaven (humidity never varies all that much/quickly), and the safes sit on the concrete foundation floor so the temperature doesn't vary a whole lot/very quickly either.

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

• Like 2

Cheers Gents.

Richard, you may have a point, probably me :laughing: 

In hindsight, an odd question, I suppose. You know how it is though, you see something you don't like and you go through the WTH stage.

Ive bought a few boxes off Ebay, will need some adjustment. Some of those tsuba bags too.

Going to put them in another drawer too. The drawer they are in at the moment is up against an outside wall. Ive never put swords there for that reason, same now with the tsuba.

Cheers.

Alex, my collection varies from boxes in our katanadansu, to lying unprotected on an open shelf for one or two tsuba I'm studying or researching. Our tropical humidity ranges from 55-100%, condensing & non-condensing. I've had only one problem with a green (non-verdigris) layer that appeared on one tsuba overnight, & it was discussed at length on this thread some time ago.

The majority of our tsuba collection are Heianjo/Yoshiro, & my woodworker wife is planning to create a custom box for 24 of them, with a hinged plexiglass cover. We can hang the box on the wall when her project is finished.

Ken

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..