Hagire Or Scratch?

vajo

Zooming in on the right picture, I can see a line in the hamon as well, but not sure as it looks to go the slightest bit diagonally. Possibly covered a bit by the hagiri polish?

I'd put a bit of chili on each side and if it looks to be absorbed quicker than normal, Id hate to say it, but might be a hagire. If not, I'd lean towards a scratch, hopefully.

It is a blade from tsuruta san. I followed the blade some time ago. Now i want to buy it and look deeper in the pictures. 

What you think should i ask directly? I don't want to offend him.

I do not think it is a Hagire. Has it Hozon? If yes then then it has no Hagire 99.9%

Don't worry about embarassing him! It is a legiimate question to ask for Kizu. He wants to do business with you so it is just legitimate to ask. Straight questions gets straigther answers. Just make sure you ask a question and don't make an assumption and you are all fine.

It is always better to settle something prior to it becoming a problem.

Just imagine there is a Hagire and it got missed by accident. It is better to find this out in adance rather than after a deal is conducted. The vendor would then be much more ashamed given he did not know it.

• Like 3

Zooming in on the right picture, I can see a line in the hamon as well, but not sure as it looks to go the slightest bit diagonally. Possibly covered a bit by the hagiri polish?

I'd put a bit of chili on each side and if it looks to be absorbed quicker than normal, Id hate to say it, but might be a hagire. If not, I'd lean towards a scratch, hopefully.

hello, this sounds interesting. Can you please explain this technique some more? Wouldn't the chili substances hurt the Hadori?

• Like 1

Haha, this is what I get for posting on my phone with autocorrect on the hunt and not checking before posting! Lol!

Yes, definitely meant to say choji. From what I've seen after reading about it, it does seem to absorb into the crack and can be an indicator of hagire.

Also, if there was such a thing as a hagire polish that somehow "uncracked the blade," I'd say give that man a Nobel Peace Prize for getting us some sound sleep! Haha. But it does appear to be a hagire covered by the hadori polish, but will need further pics for investigation if possible.

• Like 1

I think this is the Sadayuki Aoi has for sale. It's a nice shape, very healthy sword. Would be surprising if this was a hagire, but it's priced in the "wonder why" zone so yes ask him directly for a live picture of the blade (the scans they do are great, but for some things a real light picture can be more useful) and if they will stand behind a "not a hagire" call.

I've got answer from AOI Art. Tsuruta san looks on the blade an there is nothing. The polish is very good, the blade is healthy and well shaped. The signature looks fine but he hasn't proof it. But he think it is genuine. NTHK Kanteisho is included.

I bought it.

Thanks for helping me.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I picked up the sword yesterday from our customs.

After unpacking i was looking immediatly to the place where i tought i see a scratch, with a magnifying glass.

There is nothing. Have i only judged from the pictures, i had missed that loveley sword. 

I've been very excited to have it now.

Here some pictures out of the box.

post-3496-0-88600300-1509445895_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-00878900-1509445906_thumb.jpegpost-3496-0-86393200-1509445915_thumb.jpegpost-3496-0-54973900-1509445925_thumb.jpeg

The communication with Tsuruta San and his assistant Mr. Matsuzawa was very good.

Thanks all

Chris

• Like 5

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..